QuickSubmit Plugin not working

As a final solution to our journal upgrade challenges, we decided to create a fresh OJS installation with new database etc. with the intent of using the quicksubmit plugin to get all our previous published articles online and then proceed.
First problem: The OJS QuickSubmit Installation button did not work. We tried solving this by downloading and uploading the plugin from GitHub (GitHub - pkp/quickSubmit) and voila it installed.
Second Problem: Now we have a bigger problem. After filling in all the information, the save button does not work. Please what do we do?
Thanks for your previous responses.

Hi @revsanda,

What version of OJS are you using? (Please include this in your posts.)

When you tried to install the plugin through the plugin gallery, what behavior did you experience?

When you say that the save button does not work, what behavior do you experience?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

So thankful for your prompt response.
We are using OJS 3.0.2
When we tried installing the plugin through the plugin gallery, there was absolutely no response it was like the button was inactive. Same thing is happening when I click the save button. Its just staying put with no prompts or changes.

Sorry, The save button works but only opens a blank page and nothing else

Hi @revsanda,

Have a look at this FAQ entry: When I click some button or follow some link, I'm left with a blank page. What do I do?

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Thanks again. I have looked at the entry however though I tried the different suggestions it doesn’t seem to help me at all. The cahce folders have the right permissions (757). I tried all the additions to the index.php and temporary modification of lib/pkp/includes/functions.inc.php and I got a page full of logs. The last two lines read:

Importing classes.journal.Journal
Importing lib.pkp.classes.context.Context
Importing lib.pkp.classes.metadata.MetadataTypeDescription
Importing lib.pkp.classes.filter.ClassTypeDescription
Importing lib.pkp.classes.filter.TypeDescription
Importing lib.pkp.classes.filter.TypeDescriptionFactory

But I dont really know what to do next with all this. Need your help again please.

Hi @revsanda,

Those modifications are way down the rabbit hole – the first recommendation is by far the most important, which is to check your PHP error log. What do you see there?

Regards,
Alec Smecher

I am not really sure if this is the line I am looking for but this is what I got on the error.log file:

[21-Apr-2017 20:27:03 Africa/Lagos] PHP Strict Standards: Declaration of CustomBlockPlugin::getContents() should be compatible with BlockPlugin::getContents($templateMgr, $request = NULL) in /home/ijavsorg/public_html/ijavs/plugins/generic/customBlockManager/CustomBlockPlugin.inc.php on line 130

Hi @revsanda,

That’s cosmetic and can be ignored. You’ll want to look for something mentioning “Error” or “Fatal”.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

[ 21-Apr-2017 10:14:54 Africa/Lagos] PHP Warning: exec() has been disabled for security reasons in /home/ijavsorg/public_html/ijavs/lib/pkp/classes/plugins/PluginHelper.inc.php on line 64

[21-Apr-2017 10:14:54 Africa/Lagos] PHP Fatal error: Call to a member function getProductType() on string in /home/ijavsorg/public_html/ijavs/lib/pkp/classes/plugins/PluginHelper.inc.php on line 107

[21-Apr-2017 19:57:13 Africa/Lagos] PHP Fatal error: Call to undefined method PublishedArticleDAO::getByArticleId() in /home/ijavsorg/public_html/ijavs/plugins/importexport/quickSubmit-master/QuickSubmitForm.inc.php on line 67

I hope I got what you wanted here. I pray it helps.
Thanks.

Hi @revsanda,

It looks like you’ve installed a version of the QuickSubmit plugin that’s not compatible with your OJS. Check the “Releases” list on the QuickSubmit repository and ensure that you’ve got the version matching your OJS release.

The exec() has been disabled for security reasons message explains why you weren’t able to install the plugin directly from the plugin gallery – your host has disabled some functionality that’s required for that.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Thats strange. I only downloaded from the repository from the github website. I am even just noticing also that the Upload New Plugin link has disappeared. Is there a way of uninstalling the present plugin and try it all over? I could try to get exec() enabled from the website domain settings I guess

Hi @revsanda,

There are several kinds of downloads available from Github – the releases (which are built to work with each version of OJS), and the source repository, which is not. It looks like you downloaded the source repository. I’d suggest removing it manually from your filesystem before trying to install the version from the Releases page (or working with your host to get the plugin gallery working).

Regards,
Alec Smecher

SOLVED! Thanks a million. I deleted the folder. Located the correct release, used it and it worked. The upload was successful. Thanks. Just one last question, it appears i couldn’t publish the articles on the dates they were published earlier like in 2015-10-01. It changed the date of publication to today. Is that a norm?

You were right i downloaded and used the wrong file initially. Thanks

Thought of closing this now however I am yet to get to know if there is a way to change the dates of publication of articles to reflect that they had been published a long time earlier but just brought into OJS now. Please RSVP

Hi @revsanda,

There should be a “Date Published” field on the QuickSubmit form. Have you tried entering older dates into that before submitting the article?

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Yes I tried and it says “form not submitted” then it automatically changes
the date to today and then allows submission.

Hi @revsanda,

Is “Form not submitted” the exact message you get? I don’t see that message anywhere in our software.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Thanks. Will have to do another submission to be sure. Will get back on
that when submitting another previously published article. Sorry I cant
remember the exact phrase used.