Paths in custom blocks and page footer in OMP 1.2

Hi,

is there a way to avoid using the absolute paths in the custom block manager and the page footer of OMP 1.2?

In the custom block plugin it works for me to change {$customBlockContent} into {eval var=$customBlockContent} in block.tpl to use variables and smarty instructions,but the same does not work for the footer. I get an authorizationDenied-message in some cases there.

best,
Carola

Hi @carola,

That’s an interesting modification to customBlockContent – it does introduce a bit of a security risk in that anyone permitted to edit custom blocks can execute arbitrary PHP, but if you think it’s worth the risk, I don’t see any other problems with it.

For the footer, which footer template are you modifying, and how are you changing it?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi @asmcher,

it works now for the footer (lib/pkp/templates/frontend/components/footer.tpl)

{eval var=$pageFooter} instead of {$pageFooter}

when using only router instructions like:

{url router=$smarty.const.ROUTE_PAGE page=‘contact’}

Are you sure one can execute any PHP-code? It’s only in the template.

best,
Carola

Hi @carola,

You can embed arbitrary PHP in Smarty using {php}...{/php} tags. I believe Smarty has some provisions for allowing/refusing certain kinds of tags, so it might be able to make it safer, but I’m not very familiar with that aspect of Smarty.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi @carola,

One solution that doesn’t permit embedding of PHP: Identify the code where the page footer is provided to the template manager… (See classes/template/TemplateManager.inc.php)

$this->assign('pageFooter', $context->getLocalizedSetting('pageFooter'));

…and add some variable replacement to it:

$this->assign('pageFooter', str_replace(
    array('{$baseUrl}'),
    array($this->request->getBaseUrl()),
    $context->getLocalizedSetting('pageFooter')
));

Then you could use {$baseUrl} in the footer.

Regards,
Alec Smecher