Patch failed to apply during upgrade

Hello all,

I’m not sure if I should open a new topic, but the subject matter is quite related.

I believe I have a serious maintenance issue at hand with OJS and was hoping someone could provide professional guidance.

The “only” and “best” way to keep OJS updated is using the full-download method, especially for those unable to use Github, or those who make code customizations.

Since I don’t know how they work properly, it seems to me that, even when trying to use a code maintenance tool, comparing an old version to a new version seems out of purpose. Comparing would only work when it’s done on the same version (checking for custom code), not different ones, even if there are small changes in the code.

I tried WinMerge, but it shows differences in too many files and it’s hard to keep track of what I’ve changed myself. There has to be a better way than to copy changed files to some directory on my machine…

Just running diff -rq on the folders is not enough…

Don’t compare the old OJS version to the new OJS version.

Your general strategy should be to compare your modified OJS install to the clean, unmodified OJS download.

Then, identify and document each intentional change. You can save these changes as diffs (or patches). You can then reapply those patches to the new codebase.