Option to archive journals (instead of remove)

At http://OJS3/index.php/index/admin/contexts one can see the list of hosted journals. When editing a journal there is the option to hide the journal so it doesn’t publicly appear. There is also the option to completely remove it (and I assume delete all related information).

We would also like to have an option to archive a journal in a way that is it completely disabled, hidden and inactive. An archived journal would not appear in the list of hosted journals or anywhere publicly on the site, but all of its contents would be intact. It could live in a list of “archived” journals (compared to “active”, hosted journals). Essentially we want to keep our list of hosted journals (and general management of our content) uncluttered while we keep all the information on issues, reviews etc of old journals archived for posterity.

Has this ever come up before? What would the implementation of such a feature entail?

Hi @kasioumis,

Hmm, I haven’t heard of that requirement before – can you describe the “business” side of the archiving? Are these journals that e.g. used to be hosted in a commercial service but are moving elsewhere, for example?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi all,

See also this issue, which describes some improvements for release in OJS 3.0.1.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi @asmecher, thanks for the reply :slight_smile: We were thinking of ways to handle special issues of journals and came up with this idea, so I just wanted to know if it had popped up before or if it would resonate with other users and/or the developers. We haven’t thought of a more concrete “business” case for archiving.

What triggered us is: From time to time we want to publish special issues in our regular journals. Seeing that submitting to a special issue is not obvious for authors, one solution is to set up a journal section for the special issue, so it’s clear that people are submitting at the special issue. But then, down the way, we need to re-assign special issue sections to regular sections in order to delete temporary special issue sections and keep the journal tidy. We thought that creating new one-off journals for special issues would be “cleaner” and keep them independent from the regular journal (as they should be) - but then, down the way, we might end up with too many “hosted journals”. Then archiving them would make sense, so we keep them out of the way, but at the same time we don’t lose any of the history.

Hi @kasioumis,

Have you thought about creating static pages to advertise the special issues? Off the top of my head, it might be possible to create a link into the submission process that automatically preselects a section. Then, when you’re finished with the special issue, you can edit the section to make it “editors only”, which will result in new submitters no longer seeing that section in the list (thus reducing clutter).

Regards,
Alec Smecher

The “editors only” tweak for sections seems interesting, I wasn’t aware of it. That could help.

About automatically preselecting a section in the submission process: you mean by appending a GET variable (like ?sectionId=x) to the URL (https://example.ojs3.com/index.php/EXAMPLEJOURNAL/submission/wizard)?

Thanks again @asmecher, cheers

Hi @kasioumis,

Yes, something like that. I haven’t tested it specifically, though – let me know if you have trouble with it.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi Alec, I have actuallly tested this option (making the submission to a specific section only possible if you are an editor or a section editor) but it looks like it does not work properly. In fact I then tried to submit as an author (with no editor or section editor role) and I was able to do so (the section was still listed in the optional section when I was submitting).
Thank you
Best regards
Valeria

Hi @valeria,

You’re right – that checkbox was ineffective. There’s a patch for this at Respect "editor only" section flag on submission process · Issue #2049 · pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub (and the fix will be released with OJS 3.0.2, or if we release one, 3.0.1-1).

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Thank you.
Regards
Valeria