OMP: filtering for book catalog

Language Science Press is approaching 100 books in the catalog (currently 87). This requires some filtering, as the flat list currently presented is overwhelming for users (On my screen, this is ~10 pages, http://langsci-press.org/catalog).

It would be good if there was a way to filter the books on the catalog page itself. For instance, only books from 2017, or only books from a certain series.

I have created a mock implementation of what I mean at Home | Language Science Press catalog . Try sorting the columns, and search for “grammaticalization” in the search box to get an impression. My main point here is to illustrate what kind of functionality I would like to see. I am not wed to this particular implementation. My implementation uses jquery,tablesorter.

The code for the mockup is found at: GitHub - langsci/langsci.github.io.

Hi @Glottotopia,

Are you working with the latest stable release, or the current master branch of OMP? If you haven’t seen Github issue 1922, it adds pagination to the catalog page; this functionality is due for release in OMP 3.1.1 within the next couple of weeks. This would hopefully be a starting point for further work on filtering etc.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Pagination is nice, but I would like to see sorting and filtering. As I understand this, these requests would still be open after the new release, right?

Obviously, sorting and filtering should work across the whole catalog, not only the selection currently on display

Hi @Glottotopia,

Correct, the pagination doesn’t add filtering/sorting, but the two features should work in concert. I’d lean towards implementing both on the server side, rather than sending the whole catalog to the front end for presentation. In any case, tagging @NateWr for his thoughts!

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

1 Like

Our Category and Series browsing options play the role of filtering at the moment, and each category/series can have it’s own sort order. But we could integrate these views into the overall Catalog page too.

Filtering by title, author or year would be a desideratum.

Furthermore, filtering substrings of title (e.g. all “A grammar of …”)
would also be a desideratum

1 Like

@Glottotopia in what ways do you find the existing search interface insufficient for locating by title, author or substrings of title/metadata?