OMP: can book reviews be managed and exposed?

Describe the problem you would like to solve
In OMP book revies are not managed at all

Describe the solution you’d like
For each book (maybe chapter too) should be possible to manage book reviews, publishing them in the book page e.g. like this https://www.uclpress.co.uk/collections/ro_homepage_products/products/187257

Who is asking for this feature?
Press managers, Press editors, Authors

Additional information
We think that reviews are an important book promotion and should be managed separately

Hi @bolelligallevi,

To be clear: you’re looking to display reviews publicly on your OMP site alongside the books?

-Roger
PKP Team

1 Like

Hi @rcgillis, yes we world like to do that.
Right now, we are testing the possibility to add them at the end of the abstract field, big as temporary solution.
We think that reviews are an important book promotion and should be managed separately.
Best regards
Stefano

1 Like

Hi @bolelligallevi,

Interesting - thanks for sharing. To my knowledge this doesn’t exist in OMP, but it’s possible that others may be interested/working on it too. Anything you can share on current work/code towards this would be helpful. Typically, the way this type of thing would be handled would likely be in the form of a plugin. I’ve switched this post to a “Feature request” category. I would ask, however, if you could rephrase your feature request using our standard headings/feature request template (if you start a new post and use the feature request template it should appear. Otherwise, could you reformat your request using the headings such as those found here; Improvement of PKP's OJS installation statistics site (https://pkp.sfu.ca/ojs/stats/)

P.S. I would recommend updating your OMP Instance as well, as 3.1 is out-of-date and not supported. Working from a more updated codebase would help in this situation as well.

-Roger
PKP Team

Hi @bolelligallevi, we are trying to make all first “Feature Request” posts follow same structure to facilitate the understanding of the petitions and at same time, will ensure no relevant info is missing.

Do you mind to reEdit your fist post following this template:

Describe the problem you would like to solve
Example: Our editors need a way to […]

Describe the solution you’d like
Tell us how you would like this problem to be solved.

Who is asking for this feature?
Tell us what kind of users are requesting this feature. Example: Journal Editors, Journal Administrators, Technical Support, Authors, Reviewers, etc.

Additional information
Add any other information or screenshots about the feature request here.

You can use this post as a reference.

Hi @rcgillis and @marc, I edited the first post as suggested.
Thanks and best regards
Stefano

2 Likes

Adding a +1 for this feature from SFU Digital Publishing.

It’s an interesting point that I never figured out. But actually I don’t understand how do you imagine the publication of the reviews?

To me, you could send to reviewers a form in docx or pdf and then, when the book is ready, you could publish this form as a different galley beside the book’s file.

Hi @Michevole, sorry for missing your answer.
Rearding your suggestion, we would prefer to show reviews as in the example I provided, although your solution is an other possibility.
Managing reviews out of galleys would make them more easy and quick to read (or find, if they are out of OMP).
Best regards,
Stefano

Ohh, I see now. Sorry, I completely misunderstood your request. I thought we were talking about the result of peer-review, but you mean the “promotional” reviews instead.

You need a new blank field similar to the summary one, to show these quotes.

Ah, ok. Regarding the results of peer review, see this post mentioning this plugin to expose the peer review workflow.
@asmecher, can you tell if can be used for OMP too?
Best regards
Stefano