OMP - Best workflow for back issues

We are just getting started with OMP, as one of our authors have an Open Access book project he wants us to do. As such we have installed the latest version of OMP and would like to populate the catalogue with a few out of print books that we have files for. Is there an easier way to get them published than to fake the whole editorial process with assigning editors and approving versions?

Best regards
Geir Rosset
Novus Press
Oslo
Norway

Hi @geirrosset,

I’d suggest looking at the import/export tools – there’s sample XML in plugins/importexport/native/sample.xml. Alternately, if you don’t need your specific pieces of content, there’s a test data set that gets created by running the integration tests built into the software.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi

Should probably have mentioned that all these back issues are pdf files only (issue and separate chapters). They were created long before anyone thought of putting them online (let alone for free). So an XML import scheme is not applicable.

Any suggestions? (In OJS there is a fast submit plugin, but I find no equivalent in OMP).

Geir

Even though this is the last step, and I am almost done. Even here I could have saved a ton of time if there was just “approve all” and “set terms for all” options.

no

Hi @geirrosset,

For expediency, if you’re manually adding this content, you might consider approving the content in the database. You can set approvals by working with the viewable column in submission_files, and the “set terms” tool changes the direct_sales_price column.

The XML import process may still be suitable for imports of PDFs – especially if you have data like titles etc. in a spreadsheet or some other form that can be converted into XML with a bit of scripting. The XML can then refer to the PDFs by filename.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi!

I am wondering if there is a way to import a big catalog without using XML native import as we have more than a hundred monographs and it will be very time-consuming to fill either the XML files or the normal submission process.

Thanks!
Best,
Alejandra Casas

Hi @Alejandra_Casas,

Do you have your catalog in any kind of electronic format already? One of the ways you can work with the XML toolset is to put together a conversion tool to convert from whatever form you already have into the XML format for import.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Yes! Thank you! I have both an ONIX3 XML and excel sheet, but I don’t know how to do the conversion to the xml I need in OMP :c

Hi @Alejandra_Casas,

There is a CSV import plugin for OMP – but before you get too excited, any batch data conversion will need a lot of tweaking to suit the data set you’re working with. If you have access to a developer, I’d suggest showing them the OMP import format and your ONIX spreadsheet. They can assess how much work a conversion would take. If you don’t have access to a developer, you’re unfortunately best off continuing to do the work manually. (Unfortunately there is not a QuickSubmit plugin for OMP, though it has been requested.)

Regards,
Alec Smecher