OJS3 French canadian translation

HI all,
There is already a fr_CA translation in OJS3 but it is not complete. This is to inform you that we will complete the translation in the weeks to come. We would want this to be finished by this december.

pierre

Hi @pnault,

That would be wonderful! Tagging @mtub, who manages translations.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi,
I read in another post ([OJS] Language translation not working in 'Workflow Settings' and 'Submission' · Issue #1505 · pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub) that some files need to be translated before doing any journal creation or before going live on production. These are:
-/ojs-3/lib/pkp/locale//default.xml
-/ojs-3/locale/
/default.xml

Are there any other ? If not and if these files are correctly translated, can we assume that we could go live (production) and make some slight corrections to other translations files after, without “breaking” anything in the database ?

Regards,
Pierre

Hi @pnault,

Many of the settings in the default.xml files are installed into the database when the journal is created. If the translation is missing when the journal is created, you’ll need to manually add translations into the journal settings; just updating default.xml won’t cause the translations to appear there.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Ok thanks Alec.
I have another question regarding some red error message:

This seems to come from a JS file lib/pkp/js/lib/jquery/plugins/validate/jquery.validate.min.js

Scanning this file we can see there is a lot of error messages in plain english.

• How do we translate them ?
  • By simply changing all occurrences in the JS file ?
  • Other means ?

Regards,
Pierre

Hi @pnault,

I’ve filed that for attention here. No need to translate the JS file – there are already translations for that plugin, it’s just that we’re not currently informing that plugin that we’d like it to present French strings.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi Alec,
After looking at the Stack Overflow link, I’m not sure what I have to do. Looking at the first answer, which files do I have to modify and how ? There is also translations for the spectrum plugin…
Also, does this means that if we install a bilingual instance of OJS3 (French and English), errors messages will only be in French ?

Pierre

Hi @pnault,

As a translator, you don’t need to do anything. Someone with coding experience needs to take a look at configuring the JS library properly – we’ll get to this for OJS 3.0.2, most likely, and of course you’re welcome to take a crack at it yourself. It’ll probably mean working within the identified Smarty template, and some JS experience will be helpful.

Regards,
Alec Smecher