OJS 3 usage statistics plugin

Hi,

Just recently we upgraded from OJS 2 to OJS 3.1.1-4. What I am missing is the Usage Statistics plugin. The one that shows number of downloads on an article page. I have checked and it is not available under installed plugins nor under plugin gallery.

It seems strange to me as it was installed by default in previous OJS 3 versions. Any idea what is wrong?

Regards, Primož

2 Likes

Even we are facing this issue

@primozs, @Ranjan_Mohapatra, the plugin is called “Usage statistics” and it is under the installed plugins tab!!
So this is very easy, see my screenshot!

Click on “Settings” and then flag the last checkbox (see the following screenshot), “Display submission statistics chart for reader”

What I am trying to figure out, instead, is how to display not only Pdf Downloads, but also the abstract views. Why? Because pdf Download files can be very low, since the people don’t necessarily download PDF but just view them, clearly! So I want to show also abstract views at least, maybe in the sidebar, like in the following example:

About this issue, there are hundred of threads and posts to read here in the forum; I have read that it is needed to add and edit some code (so also creating a Child theme), which in any case my case didn’t work. In my opinion, this would be a feature that should more accessible!
What really frustrates me, is that I see that many journals have implemented issues and solved things without sharing solutions or discussions here on the forum! So their solutions don’t get available for the community.
Please help me back, if you can, on this!
Thank you and best regards,
Leonardo

ps.: maybe @bozana could help with this? Does it exist a definitive, integrated, official solutions for full article metrics on OJS 3.1.2-4 and not only for Pdf Downloads?

1 Like

Hi @leonardo.mancini,

I would rather keep the focus on my problem: I don’t have the plugin under installed plugins. See:

Any help regarding that?

Regards, Primož

Very curious indeed, I have found it just after installing OJS 3.1.2-4 (latest version).
Which version are you using?
I am sorry that I can’t help any further, I hope you manage to solve it soon.
Leonardo

ps: I only have found this, but maybe you already know: Statistics

Hi @primozs,

Did you installed via Ftp or Github? I have found this thread: PKP Usage statistics report missing in OJS 3.1.1-4 - #23 by jideg
Have you already seen it?
Leonardo

Hi @leonardo.mancini,

That is a different plugin. See:

• usage statistics plugin is under generic plugins (the one I am missing)
  • usage statistics reports plugin your link is referring to

Regards, Primož

Yes you are right, sorry.
But in the whole portal, even before the Journal, have you activated it through the Site settings?

Step 1)

Step 2) How many plugins do you see here?

Step 3)

Which OJS version are you running? Is that maybe related?

1 Like

Hi @leonardo.mancini,

Good point, but that is not the problem.

After looking more into the problem it shows that only one journal is missing these two plugins, while other journals on the OJS installation have them and are working.
So the question is: how is it possible that only one journal misses these two plugins? How to fix it?

Regards, Primož

HI @primozs,

it’s really bizarre indeed. I will be very curious to see the solution of this, if it will come out. I hope you will manage somehow. Maybe @asmecher can say something.
Best regards,
Leonardo

Hi @primozs,

What do you get for the following database query?

SELECT * FROM plugin_settings WHERE setting_name='enabled' AND plugin_name='UsageStatsPlugin';

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi @asmecher,

Thank youfor your help. It started to work, although I don’t understand it…

Your SQL returns:

I would understand it the plugin is enabled. But context_ID is confusing to me. Does 0 means enabled OJS wide?

But now the problem is I don’t see the plugins at any journal settings. The statistics are displayed at all journal articles, while I can not modify that per journal. As far as I recall it shoudl be possible to individualy enable/disable displaying statistics per journal, isn’t it?

Best regards, Primož

Hi @primozs,

Yes, the context_id of 0 means that the plugin is enabled site-wide (as it should be – this is a site-wide plugin). It’s not possible to enable/disable it on a per-journal basis. When you go to the site-wide Pugins area you should be able to configure it, but only for the entire site.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi @asmecher,

Thank you for the explanation. OK, as I assumed the plugin cna be enabled only for all journals or none, right?
However that is different that written in the plugin settings:
Best regards, Primož

Hi @primozs,
maybe it means that you can decide whether to show the “Downloads” graph on a journal or not; it doesn’t refer to the plugin itself as a whole.
All the best,
Leonardo