OJS 3 Advanced Search with additional search fields (as in OJS 2)

Dear OJS community,

As part of a university project I have enhanced the Advanced Search of OJS 3 with additional search capabilities similar to those of OJS 2.

Additional search input fields will allow you to search by title, abstract, full text, disciplines, keyword, type, coverage, and all index term fields.

OJS_3_advanced_search_additional_search_fields

This modification is solely based on adding template and CSS code as the corresponding search filters are present within the source code of OJS 3 and just need to be called.

Tested with latest OJS 3.2.1-1, but these changes can also be applied to any OJS 3.x version prior than that.

Download and further instructions here: GitHub - nicolols/OJS-3-enhanced-advanced-search: OJS 3 advanced search with additional search fields as in OJS 2

Cheers!

3 Likes

Hi @bibliocoder,

That looks excellent! Have you considered packaging this work as a plugin? Plugins can override specific templates and provide additional CSS.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

2 Likes

Glad to hear that. Wouldn’t it be possible to include this into OJS natively or is there a reason not to?
If necessary I would initiate the pull requests to the PKP repository myself.

Hi @bibliocoder,

The OJS 2.x form suffered from simply offering options for their own sake without much consideration of how users wanted to search. Rather than do the same in 3.x, we simplified the form (as part of an overall attempt to make the system less imposing to users). I suspect some will find these options useful but generally I’d lean towards doing some UI/UX work before shipping a modified form for all users.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team