OJS 3.1.2-2 Editorial Report Emails

I just upgraded to the latest version of OJS (3.1.2-2) and an hour or so after upgrading it started sending all of our editors an email with no subject (except the journal abbreviation) and no content except for editorial-report.csv.

The CSV file had the following rows of data:

Submissions
Submission
#workflow.review.externalReview##
Copyediting
Production
Trends
Submissions Received
Submissions Accepted
Submissions Declined
Submissions Declined (Desk Reject)
Submissions Declined (Post-Review)
Submissions Declined (Other)
Submissions Published
Average Days to First Editorial Decision
Average # Days to Accept
Average # Days to Reject
Acceptance Rate
Rejection Rate
Desk Reject Rate
Post-Review Reject Rate
Other Reject Rate
Users
All Roles
Journal Manager
Section Editor
Assistant
Author
Reviewer
Reader
Subscription Manager

Are there any settings to turn off these emails? If not, is there some code that I can amend so that it doesn’t send out all these emails?

Thanks for your help.

Edit: For now, I have tried just removing lib/pkp/classes/task/StatisticsReport.inc.php.

The same here. I’ve received 1000 report mails, one per minute. A hotfix is required since it’s extremely annoying.

Hi all,

We’re looking into this – but in the meantime, the best way to stop the notifications from going out is to edit classes/task/StatisticsReport.inc.php, find the lines (40-41):

/**
 * @copydoc ScheduledTask::executeActions()
 */
public function executeActions() : bool
{

…and add return true; just after those, so that they read:

/**
 * @copydoc ScheduledTask::executeActions()
 */
public function executeActions() : bool
{
        return true;

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

2 Likes

Hi,

Thanks for this tip. I had the same experience during the weekend, one day after the upgrade. I solve it by rolling back to previous version.
However, now I have a problem with this tip. I can’t find classes/task/StatisticsReport.inc.php. In classes/task/ I can only see these two:
OpenAccessNotification.inc.php
SubscriptionExpiryReminder.inc.php

Do I look on the wrong place?

I am looking at public_html/OJS/classes/tasks

Hi @Vladanoid,

If you have rolled back to the previous release, that file won’t exist. It’s only in OJS 3.1.2-2.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi all,

I’ve released OJS 3.1.2-3 to fix this – the report emails have been removed and we’ll take a better run at it for the OJS 3.2 release.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi @asmecher,

Can you please helpme finding the fix (differences between -2 and -3)? I already installed -2 version and would like to apply just a fix on it.
I have checked the git-hub and could not find the new milestone and coresponding changes.

Best regards, Primož

Hi @primozs,

If you’ve already upgraded, you can fix the problem either by applying the above modification, or, more officially, applying 292eb44ab9aa2c02df37fc8ff80baf05177040ec and running the following SQL query:

DELETE FROM scheduled_tasks WHERE class_name = 'lib.pkp.classes.task.StatisticsReport';

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi @asmecher, I have found the same issue in OMP version 3.1.2.4. It happens with complete new installations as well as OMP upgraded from previous versions.

Arley

Hi @asmecher,

I have the same problem. I have installed 3.1.2-2 version and I receive emails with editorial reports. I didn’t find StatisticsReport.inc.php file in classes/task directory. I have made modification according to:
applying 292eb44ab9aa2c02df37fc8ff80baf05177040ec and running the following SQL query:

DELETE FROM scheduled_tasks WHERE class_name = 'lib.pkp.classes.task.StatisticsReport';

But still I have received emails after more than 1 hour after applying this solution.

Can you help me?

Regards
Dorota

Hi @doridek,

This has been fixed in OJS 3.2. To resolve this issue you can either upgrade to OJS 3.2 or apply the following patch to
lib/pkp/classes/scheduledTask/ScheduledTaskHelper.inc.php in your current 3.1.2 install.

Best,
Michael