OJS 2.4.6 to 3.1.1-2 Up-gradation is Stuck, Please help

Dear OJS Team,

I am upgrading OJS 2.4.6 to ojs 3.1.1-2 at the stage of
[data: dbscripts/xml/upgrade/3.1.1_update.xml]
Up-gradation is stuck since last One day, how I can resolve this problem?
please help.

DB Size: 4 GB,
File Size: 36 GB.

Please check screenshot

How big is your database? Especially the metrics table?
edit: sorry missed the database size you already gave. It explains a lot. Expect the upgrade to take at least two days.

With a large database that part of the upgrade can take a really long time. In a installation with 100 journals it took 36 hours to complete the upgrade.

I suggest that you open another terminal window, open mysql and run SHOW PROCESSLIST; to see if there are ongoing processes there. You can check it a couple of times and see if the process time changes.

On a related issue, see the discussion here: Upgrade from OJS 3.0.1-1 to 3.1.1 takes a long time (1hr+)

@asmecher I wonder if there is something that could be done with the sql’s that update the metrics table? With a 1 GB database it took 36 hours to complete and the single sql mentioned in the other thread took around 30 hours. Can not even imagine how long it takes when the database is 4 GB.

Instead of running a single sql, maybe it could be changed to a function that fires several smaller sql’s?

Thank You Ajnyga, I will wait until complete the Up-gradation process also I will check, SHOW PROCESSLIST; in command prompt.

Thank you so much :slight_smile:

Hi Ajnyga,

I am trying to upgrade our production server with multiple journals from 2.4.6 to 3.1.1-2.

As per your suggestion, I saw SHOW PROCESSLIST; In terminal then I found my up-gradation is stuck at below query stage, please help How Can I resolve this problem?

UPDATE metrics m, submission_file_settings sfs SET m.assoc_id = sfs.file_id WHERE m.assoc_type = 531 AND sfs.setting_name = 'old-supp-id' AND sfs.setting_value = m.assoc_id

are you sure it is stuck?

When you do SHOW PROCESSLIST; it shows the sql and also the amount of seconds it has been running in the time column. When you do SHOW PROCESSLIST; twice, does the amount of seconds change? If it does, it is just still running. And could run for a couple of days straight.

mysql> show processlist;
+---------+--------+-----------+------+---------+------+-------+------------------+
| Id      | User   | Host      | db   | Command | Time | State | Info             |
+---------+--------+-----------+------+---------+------+-------+------------------+
| 1233456 | fdffdf | localhost | NULL | Query   |    0 | NULL  | show processlist |
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

Thank You for time, here I am pasting screen shot of terminal.

After successfully upgraded to version 3.1.1.2, I am not getting Theme properly, and website is not loading proper theme, so please suggest me to fix this issue.

Here is screen shot

is the theme you are using compatible with 3.1.1.2? Have you upgraded the theme itself?

No, I have just upgraded my application, I didn’t change any setting or theme, this is showing by default after up-gradation.

What is the theme you are using? That is not the default theme in OJS.
Is your theme compatible with OJS 3.1.1.2?
Did you try clearing OJS file cache?
Do you see something in your error log?

Also: did you set the base_url correctly now that you are on a localhost?

Actually I am using default style of OJS 3.1.1.2. I didn’t setup any theme. I have only upgraded application, after that I saw OJS 3.1.1.2 default style is not applied properly. although after login into the application some pages are looking same as default OJS 3.1.1.2 application, but most of the pages didn’t pickup default style.

Ok, I was just looking at the most popular articles section there which is not part of the default theme I think.

But anyway you should check you html source on that page and see the url that is leading to the css file there. There is maybe a problem there. Could be the base_url setting, or a cache problem. Or you have a less parsing error which would be visible in the error log.

Sure, I’ll check and let you know the status, Thank you.

Due to Warning : Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in C:\xampp\htdocs\ojs-3.1.1-2\lib\pkp\classes\template\PKPTemplateManager.inc.php on line 1578
issue I am getting template problem.

Your installation can not find any theme plugins. It tries that here, but that call is returning null in your installation: pkp-lib/PKPTemplateManager.inc.php at ojs-stable-3_1_1 · pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub

What do you have in the plugins/themes/ folder? And if there are subfolders, do they have content in them?

In Settings > Website > Plugins, do you you see theme plugins and are they enabled?
In Settings > Website > Appearance what plugin is activated?

edit: also check this thread and the solution in the bottom: [OJS 3.1.1] Create Journal loads indefinitely, journal db exists, but all Javascript missing - #12 by Oanh_Hoang

Thank you Template issues have been done. :slight_smile: