OCS upgrade problems

Alec

I have max_execution_time = 500 so that should be the problem

Stephane

Hi @Stephane_Hess,

Have you checked your web server’s error log? (This may not be the same as the PHP error log.) It’s also possible that time limits are defined at the Apache (or whatever) configuration level, not PHP.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Alec

I’ve spoken to the server people. They say that the error log I had contains all the errors, not just php ones. They also said that the other limits are 5 minutes, so it wouldn’t seem to be the reason for it finishing so quickly. If the upgrade process is just meant to be changing the SQL tables, then would an easy way to check whether it’s done everything be for me to check whether all the tables have been added? After I run the update, there are a total of 86 tables in the SQL database

Thanks again

Stephane

Hi @Stephane_Hess,

Would it be possible for you to PM me access to a database dump?

Regards,
Alec Smecher

sure, how can I send you a PM? I’ve also noticed that post upgrade, the SQL is only around 16MB, while pre-upgrade, it was around 43MB

Hi @Stephane_Hess,

You should be able to click on my handle (asmecher) and then click “Message”. I’ll need the pre-upgrade database; it’s likely that the post-upgrade database is missing some important data.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Alec, just making sure you had received the files as I had to give them as links

Hi @Stephane_Hess,

I tried the upgrade locally and it ran without issue, but took quite a bit longer than 30 seconds (mostly due to the need to rebuild the search index). I still think the most likely cause is a time limit in your PHP or Apache configurations. Have a look at the settings mentioned here:

https://www.devside.net/wamp-server/apache-and-php-limits-and-timeouts

Note that you can shorten the upgrade down by preventing it from rebuilding the search index. You can do this by finding the following line in dbscripts/xml/upgrade.xml:

<code function="rebuildSearchIndex" />

…and removing it. Note that the search function will not return the expected results until the index is rebuilt, and to do that after an upgrade you’ll need to run tools/rebuildSearchIndex.php from the command line.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Alec

thanks. If you managed to run it locally, would it work for me to just upload the SQL file your upgrade created?

Best wishes

Stephane

Hi @Stephane_Hess,

That’s the kind of thing we would need to do through PKP Services, I’m afraid – I neutered the email addresses etc. on my copy before running the upgrade to avoid privacy problems or inadvertent emailing. But I think you’re close to getting it running there if you can identify a timeout and/or disable the index rebuild.

Regards,
Alec Smecher