Not sufficient permissions to administer user enrolled in several journals

Hello,

We use OJS 3.1.2-4.

When a user1 has only roles in journal1, the Manager of journal1 can edit the user in his own journal.
But if user1 gets an additional role in another journal as Reviewer in journal2, the Manager of journal1 can no longer edit the user in his own journal. There is an error message:
You do not have sufficient permissions to administer this user. In order to administer a user, you must either be site administrator, or administer all contexts that this user is enrolled in.

For us, it’s a bug. Is there an open issue to this problem ?

Thanks in advance for your answer.
Best regards.
Helene

Hi @hcl,

See this thread for some discussion about this limit: OJS3 editing user roles in multi-journal installations

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi @asmecher,

I read the thread you suggest.
It seems to be a tricky question. Dysfunction for some, security measures for others, lack of options for others.

What it is difficult to understand for Managers of our journals is when a journal is the only one to “own” a user, the Manager can edit and modify informations about “its” user. But since the moment when the user is registered in an other journal, the Manager can no more edit or modify informations of the same user.

I hope we will find a solution that suits everyone.

Best regards.
Helene

Hi @hcl,

A user can still be “owned” by a manager even if they are active in several journals – but the manager has to manage all of those journals.

Other ideas around how to resolve this are welcome – it’s a tricky one.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

fyi that the github issue for this is here Allow journal managers to invite users to adopt a role · Issue #3022 · pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub and I have started to work on a solution (got tired assigning editorial roles for 90 journals). Aiming for the next bigger release.

1 Like