Missing plural formatting

Just working through the OJS _locale file and realised that when gd was added as a locale, the right plural forms weren’t associted with the locale. For example I only see
subscriptionTypes.year
subscriptionTypes.years
but gd requires 4 forms (ONE, TWO, FEW, OTHER) cf the plural rules on CLDR https://unicode-org.github.io/cldr-staging/charts/37/supplemental/language_plural_rules.html#gd

Could an admin fix this please? Cheers :slight_smile:

Hi @akerbeltz,

Unfortunately, for the moment, OJS doesn’t support this kind of granularity in plurals. (We only recently moved to using the .po format for localization, rather than the homebrew XML format we used before that, and have not yet adopted all the capabilities of the .po format and gettext backing libraries.) I’d suggest choosing the best option for the moment and watching for movement on this github issue.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Ugh ok, thanks, I’ve subscribed to the issue on github. Based on experience, how quickly/slowly do such infra bugs move?

Hi @akerbeltz,

This one’s likely to take a while, I’m afraid; it’s a big change and there aren’t many cases where the current solution has been reported not to work well. However, the dev team is definitely trying to replace its own stack with standard tools and libraries, and that will eventually come to our use of the .po file format.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team