Make DOI searchable in search tools

Describe the problem you would like to solve
Make the DOI a searchable field when using the search tool.

Describe the solution you’d like*
I would like to have results delivered that include the standard details and the doi.

Who is asking for this feature?
Authors, editors, production staff, me!

Additional information
Thank you!

Hello @radjr,

We are trying to make all first “Feature Request” posts follow same structure to facilitate the understanding of the petitions and at same time, will ensure no relevant info is missing.

Could you please edit your first post following this template:

Example: Our editors need a way to […]

Describe the solution you’d like
Tell us how you would like this problem to be solved.

Tell us what kind of users are requesting this feature. Example: Journal Editors, Journal Administrators, Technical Support, Authors, Reviewers, etc.

Additional information
Add any other information or screenshots about the feature request here.

You can use this post as a reference.

Thanks in advance,

Roger
PKP Team

1 Like

Make the DOI a searchable field when using the search tool.

Describe the solution you’d like*
I would like to have results delivered that include the standard details and the doi.

Authors, editors, production staff, me!

Additional information
Thank you!

1 Like

Hello @radjr
I am trying to understand under what conditions a user would search for a DOI in the journal search engine.
First of all, the url of the DOI as such, consists of a resolver, which redirects that DOI to the URL of the article in the journal. This resolver contains metadata and everything necessary to be a persistent identifier.
In short, the DOI is so that externally they can find your article.

Second, the DOI does not have a standard that all journals follow, some put a random number, others put the volume and number, others just some numbers, etc. At this moment I don’t know what the DOI’s are like in your journal, so I will have no way of how to search for them.
And remember, the DOI is an identifier, it will redirect to the URL of the article.

If you are looking for the DOI details, then your journal is not the right place, you have to go for example with Crossreff https://search.crossref.org/ and search for your DOI and see its metadata there.

Cheers,
Dago

Hello, the DOI itself is a URL that can be searched in the address bar of any browser, which I guess is the reason why not to develop a DOI search function.

In the frontend of OJS, it is already possible to search with a DOI value (prefix/suffix or only suffix), e.g. https://www.chimia.ch/chimia/search/index?query=10.2533%2Fchimia.2023.484
This means the DOI parts are already indexed.

In the backend, it is not possible to search a submission by DOI (one needs a submission id, or author name or title). Sometimes it would be easier just to enter the DOI or parts of it instead of having to find out the id. There might be title duplicates (e.g. for repeating columns of the journal). Having a search criterion which is unique (and the DOI is unique) would help.

I don’t think it would be difficult to add a field that is already indexed to the submission search.

1 Like

As far as I understand from inspecting the code, there is Hook that allows to modify the queryObject for a submission query. So one could add a function that also searches the DOI (e.g. using a plugin).

Hi all,

There is also the Resolver plugin, which is included in OJS. This isn’t a well-known plugin but it can be used to go right from a URL containing the DOI to the article page. See https://github.com/pkp/ojs/blob/main/plugins/gateways/resolver/README for details.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

This topic was automatically closed after 9 days. New replies are no longer allowed.