We have a mix of OA and payment required books on our site. The Open Access titles are still requiring a person to log in. Is there a setting to allow anyone who happens upon our site to download an OA title without logging in?

I've searched the forum and done a google search and come up empty set. We are on OMP 3.2.1.2 currently.

Any assistance or guidance would be most appreciated!

Thanks!

Hi @jps,

You should be able to have a setting set in the Distribution settings: Setting up and Maintaining Your Press - could you give that a try, and if that doesn’t work, let us know.

Best regards,

Roger
PKP Team

We have mixed OA and direct sale titles (and chapters). Here’s a screen shot of that setup screen:Payments
I don’t see an option for allowing people to download an OA title w/o logging in.

I think you’d have to create that option in the publication format settings (e.g. create a “Free PDF” setting), there’s an example of this in the documentation I linked to above. Can you give that a try and see if it works?

-Roger
PKP Team

I had already done that; sorry I should have mentioned that. Here’s a link to a book w/both options:
http://lockwoodpressonline.com/index.php/ebooks/catalog/book/42
I set the ones w/o a price as open access in the Publications Format section of the Publication tab. But both still require log-in to download. Once you are logged in, then the direct sales one takes you to a Paypal login; the open access one downloads the pdf.

Or am I misunderstanding what you are saying?

Thanks for your help,
James

Hi @jps,

From that example, I see a paid PDF option and a link to a print edition:

Screen Shot 2021-04-07 at 7.35.26 AM

What does your “Set terms” for your PDF publication format settings looking like?

-Roger
PKP Team

OK. If you look to the left side, you will see the individual chapters for sale/download, as shown in this screen shot:
chapters

Here are the terms for a few of the chapters and the book itself:
Terms

thanks,
James

Ok, so can you try this: If you go to Catalog > find the book you’re after > select “View submission” > Publication Tab (you’ll have to then temporarily unpublish) > and there you should see an option to “set terms” - there you should see a list of options like this:

Screen Shot 2021-04-07 at 4.52.01 PM

If the setting is set to Open Access it still prompts you to login? If you let me know if you’ve got this setting correctly, I can go to your site and test.

-Roger
PKP Team

Yep. Those are the settings. I just did them again to make sure. Go ahead and try it. I hope you make me a liar! : )

Thanks,
James

Hi @jps,

I may have overlooked this: Under users and roles > Site Access options is the “Users must be registered …” option selected?

Screen Shot 2021-04-08 at 7.11.33 AM

-Roger
PKP Team

Fantastic. I didn’t know about this function. I unchecked the open access button (see screen shot)Users

The first one was already unchecked.

Thanks for your help!
James