Keyword as Links

Hi everyone,

I have seen other people have wished for linked keywords before. However, it seems the issue has been linked and closed in the respective github issue. The milestones for OJS3.2 say that you are planning on implementing browsing of keywords, but not actually the linking of the keywords as clickable tags.
For us this is a very important feature and I would like to suggest you include it again.
Readers and authors are used to having keywords that refer to a list other documents that use the same keywords. This feature would add significantly to the usability of the OJS frontend.

Best,
Franzi

Hi @fpannach, I think it is suggested in the issue you cite.
At least, this issue was closed just for that reason:

Hi @Ph_We,
thanks for the quick reply. As far as I can tell the issue was closed because

I think what you want is browsing by subject/keyword,

which is not the full nature of the request, because the milestones do not include the linking part anymore, only the searchability itself.

Best,
Franzi

Itā€™s not easy to conceive any other ā€˜browsing by keywordsā€™, than browsing by those displayed as ā€˜tagsā€™ on the article page. However, Iā€™d rather ask @NateWr what he might have meant :slight_smile:

The original wording was:

Could we make those keywords linked, taking the reader to the search results page for that keyword?

nothing about the browsing.

Have you looked at the GitHub - ali-sokhandan/ojs3-keywordcloud-plugin: A block plugin to provide a tag cloud of article keywords. - it does what you want.

You can see it in action here: https://www.altrelettere.uzh.ch

That plugin is not supported anymore (it isnā€™t compatible with 3.1.2.*). Anyway, I believe @fpannach would like those keywords (tags), which are listed on the article page, to be displayed as linked ones (clickable).

Wrong. I made it compatible with OJS 3.1.2 . The example I gave runs on OJS 3.1.2
Wrong a second time. You can click a keyword and a search is run. So it is linkable.

Sorry for my second comment above (ā€œwrong a second timeā€). I do understand now the requirement.

But wouldnā€™t this be a small change in templates/frontend/objects/article_details.tpl , line 138 ?

For example one could use on line templates/frontend/objects/article_details.tpl, line 138:

<a href={url page=ā€œsearchā€ query="$keywordItem"}>{$keywordItem|escape}{if !$smarty.foreach.keywords.last}, {/if}

1 Like

Hi @mpbraendle, itā€™s worked. Nice.

Again, I might be wrong, but @NateWr writes:

The search doesnā€™t actually match against keywords. If the keyword isnā€™t also used in the title or abstract, no results will be found.
(Keyword linking Ā· Issue #3853 Ā· pkp/pkp-lib Ā· GitHub)

So it would not be quite correct to link keywords by using search queries. So correct linking will only work when this issue is closed:

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to chime in on this part from the original message:

That issue is filed against 3.2, but primarily in order to adapt our browseBySection plugin into the core application. I donā€™t think we will include browsing by keyword (or linking) in 3.2.

Thatā€™s not because we donā€™t want to. We really want to make that happen! And when we include it, it should definitely be possible to link the keywords. But unfortunately other higher priorities have crowded it out so far.

1 Like

Dear @NateWr, thanks for the heads-up. Thatā€™s a bit unfortunate. Any idea when this could be implemented?

Best,
Franzi

Iā€™m afraid I donā€™t have a good answer for you. To my knowledge, it is not scheduled formally or informally in any future version. It is a popular request, though.

Iā€™ll tag @israel.cefrin here, who is helping us prioritize UX work for the frontend, so that he is aware. Iā€™ve also asked for some clarity about which part of the issue is scheduled for 3.2, and I will try to split out the different parts of that issue so that we can be more clear about which parts are scheduled or not.

2 Likes

Hi @fpannach,

Just wanted to let you know that Iā€™ve split up the original issue, which combined several different features, so now you can track progress on browsing by keyword here:

Iā€™ve given it the Community Priority tag for now and I believe you may have been in touch with Publishing Services to discuss this further.

Dear @NateWr,
yes we would be willing to sponsor the development if that could help speeding up the implementation.
And thanks for opening up the issues, that does described perfectly whatā€™s needed (at least from our side) and should prevent any misunderstandings in the future.

Best,
Franzi