Journal Location

Hi,

I’m currently working on ABNT citations for OJS and VuFind (harvesting from OJS through nlm), and this led me to find one problem with missing information.

The ABNT citation format (used widely in Brasil) requires that I know the location/Place of publication[1], more precisely the city, for the journal.
I know that it’s possible for a journal to not have a “place of publication”, but here in Brazil it’s very common to have one because most of our journals are academic and tied to universities (i believe this is the case of some foreign journals too)

I believe it would be nice to have some kind of “location” setting on the journals, which then could be exported through OAI to allow a broader metadata analysis of the journals.

I believe this is not too specific of the journals I admin, so i’m posting it here.

Please feel free to point any problems or considerations about this.

Thanks

[1]http://support.ebsco.com/knowledge_base/detail.php?id=7483 (keywords: Place of publication, Location)

1 Like

Hi @samueloph,

If you go into System Plugins > Citation Plugins, find the ABNT plugin. There should be a settings form there where you can set a location for the journal.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi @asmecher,

What i need is to make this setting public through harvesting, thus having a richer exportation of articles from OJS.

Can you confirm that setting the location on the ABNT plugin will expose this through OAI?
I believe i didn’t see any mention on location on the dc generator and neither on nlm (i know nlm has a field called publisher-loc).

If i’m right, your suggestion is only usefull for generating ABNT citations in OJS, the exposure of such metadata is still missing.

Thanks for your help!

Hi @samueloph,

You’re correct, that setting only applies to the ABNT citation plugin. ABNT isn’t provided anywhere via the OAI interface, so you’d either have to add ABNT support to OAI, or figure out where in the existing set of OAI formats you would like the location field to appear.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi @asmecher

Well, it seems i’ve got caught in a ‘too specific thing to implement upstream’ case.
It looks like dc doesn’t have any element to deal with that too, just nlm.

I will see if i can (and if it’s worth the effort) somehow export the location set on the ABNT plugin through the use of the attribute publisher-loc.

Thanks for your help Alec!

Hi @samueloph,

Sounds good, let me know if you come up with a solution!

Regards,
Alec Smecher