How to make italics in article title in OJS 3

This message is in reference to

ojs/templates/frontend/objects/article_details.tpl

The other mentioned files kept the $article

Hi @HDR,

Are those tags allowed in the OJS’s config (see allowed_html)?

Hi Vitaliy,

Thank you for your answer.

Yes it is:

allowed_html = “a[href|target|title],em,strong,cite,code,ul,ol,li[class],dl,dt,dd,b,i,u,img[src|alt],sup,sub,br,p”

The thing is also that italics are not allowed only on the article page, but I could make it work on other places, for example, on htmlArticleGalley/display.tpl or /plugins/generic/pdfJsViewer/templates/display.tpl

Here’s an example: Gerardo Delgado (selección y revisión). La ópera argentina. Antología. Arias para soprano . Buenos Aires: Barry Editorial, 2019. 196 páginas, ISBN: 978-950-540-034-8. | Revista Argentina de Musicología

Article page: no italics. But the title on the html and the number view, with italics…

What am I missing?

Thanks again!

Yes, it looks like being escaped.
Can you double-check that you are modifying the right file? It should be not ojs/templates/frontend/objects/article_details.tpl but the same file your theme is using.

YES!!! Solved. I forgot when we updated we also had to update the Bootstrap3 plugin! Thank you so much Vitaliy. You’re the best. :slight_smile:

1 Like

OJS 3x has gone down the wrong path in over-riding a journal’s style by not allowing HTML tags in article titles and other (eg abstract) fields in favour of issuing unformatted metadata to external agents. Surely OJS’s first responsability is to the individual journal. In my case, this requires some use of italics in article titles, which displayed appropriately in OJS 2x.
Why has OJS introduced the “How to Cite” plugin? It offers only 10 citation formats. I use a bibliographical database (EndNote) which allows me to format a citation for hundreds of journals and allows italics in article titles. Why would I want OJS to provide citations that do not match the use of italics in article titles?

Hi @job,

Starting with OJS/OMP/OPS 3.4.0, it’s possible to enter formatting in article titles (#2564).

The “How to Cite” feature makes use of the standard Citation Style Library format and standard, and the citeproc-php PHP implementation, in order to implement citation formats in a standardized way. There are 10 formats delivered with OJS “out of the box” but there’s an enormous library of additional formats that can be used. The citeproc-php library (and underlying CSL standard) both need to fully support HTML in submission titles before OJS’s formatting support will carry through to the citations generated through that toolset; see this related issue in the citeproc-php github issue list.

As to why we’re using these tools rather than OJS 2.x’s approach: HTML in titles was only inconsistently supported in OJS 2.x, and just about everything built into OJS 2.x was monolithic and homebuilt (including generation of citations). We’ve been pursuing a different approach starting with OJS 3.x where we integrate more 3rd-party tools and encourage the development of software for the scholarly ecosystem. This means we have less control over the capabilities of each, but is far more sustainable.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 13 days. New replies are no longer allowed.