How to make Google Scholar harvest the OMP metadata

We have a OMP running at TU Delft: http://books.bk.tudelft.nl. The OMP press does provide the means to harvest metadata through OAI-PMH: http://books.bk.tudelft.nl/oai . However, Google Scholar is not displaying the results, while it picks up new additions to our OJS journals typically within a week. Any ideas on how to make our books appear on Google Scholar as well?

2 Likes

Hi @Franklinx,

We spoke with Google Scholar a while back about how to support indexing OMP content in Google Scholar and they made some suggestions for how to restructure the reader interface. I’m hopeful we can address this in OMP 1.2.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi Alec
I really hope we will be able to get our ebooks registered in GoogleScholar. I have a lot of researchers asking for that.
Regards
Niels Erik

Hi Alec
Has it been addressed in the OMP 1.2?
Regards
Niels Erik

Hi @nef,

Short answer yes. Long answer, I’m just finishing up a conversation with Google Scholar about officially turning on OMP support; when we wrap up the last few details I’ll post links to a few small patches that you’ll need to apply to OMP 1.2. You’ll probably also need to review your collection to ensure that a few requirements are met e.g. for publication dates. Stay tuned.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Great to hear that.
Regards

@asmecher
Any news concerning the Google Scholar support in OMP?

Hi @nweiher,

We haven’t been able to get confirmation from Google Scholar yet, I’m afraid.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Dear Alec good day,

Doy you have any up about this thread?

Regards,

Cristhian Rey

Hi @Cristhian_Andres_Rey,

No, not yet.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi @asmecher,
Any news from Google Scholar on this feature?
Regards,

Hi @Ikhwan_Arief,

I’m afraid not; I’d suggest contacting them directly to inquire.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Thank you. :slight_smile:

Hi

I have seen that a few years ago Google Scholar did not index OMP, currently it does? If I activate the plugin does it work?

Thank you.

Hi @InfoDocu,

OMP meets the needs of Google Scholar, so yes, as far as I’m aware. If you find that your content is not indexed in Google Scholar, and the OMP Google Scholar plugin is enabled, please follow up with Google Scholar.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

3 Likes

Hi @asmecher, we have double checked with Google Sholar and currently OMP Google Scholar plugin is not working properly. There is an issue with citation_tags at the books’s landing page: OMP: Google Scholar tags only appear on PDF view page, not on landing page · Issue #5686 · pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub

Arley Soto

Hi @asmecher @asoto and I spoke this morning. They have enabled the “Google Scholar Indexing Plugin” for their OMP site, but this plugin is not creating citation_xx metatags for item-level landing pages.

Ex: view-source:https://librosesmic.com/index.php/editorial/catalog/book/30

The are citation_xx metatags enabled for PDF wrappers, but view-pdf wrappers are not full-fledged article pages and are not indexed by Scholar as articles/books.

This appears to be a bug. Would it be possible to fix this so that the Google Scholar plugin adds citation_xx metatags to the HTML source for item-level landing pages?

Best,
Monica Westin, Google Scholar partnerships lead/ technical program manager

1 Like

Hi,
I am trying to follow as we are new in thus field. We have the same problem with our OMP. The Google Scholar plugin is enabled from January 2020 but still no indexing. The site is E-izdanja. Can we please have some step by step guide to fix this? A rather simplified please, since we have only little technical support at our Faculty.
Many thanks from enthusiasts from University of Belgrade

asmecher, I think the issue is well described Monica Westin, Google Scholar partnerships lead/technical program manager.

Simply put: OMP adds the Dublin Core metadata to the “head” of the abstract page of a book, elements like:
link rel=“schema.DC” href=“http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/”
meta name=“DC.Creator.PersonalName” content=“Santiago del Hierro”
meta name=“DC.Date.created” scheme=“ISO8601” content=“2020-12-01”
meta name=“DC.Date.dateSubmitted” scheme=“ISO8601” content=“2020-12-01”

but the citation_xx metatags are added to the of the download page that has the PDF plugin.
Here you find elements like:
meta name=“citation_isbn” content=“9789463663427”
meta name=“citation_author” content=“Santiago del Hierro”
meta name=“citation_author_institution” content=“TU Delft, Architecture and the Built Environment”

Monica describes this as a bug.

I notice that OJS puts the Dublin Core and the citation_xx metatags BOTH in the “head” of the ABSTRACT page. I understand the comment by Monica that OMP needs a similar solution. The citation_xx metatags need to go to the of the abstract page like the Dublin Core metadata.

And yes, I would like to stress the importance of Google Scholar Indexing.

Hi all,

Also filed here: Google Scholar's indexing of OMP is still not working · Issue #6493 · pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub

I’ll ask someone to take a look shortly!

Thanks,
Alec Smecher