Hook for service registration in a plugin

Hi there,

i have recently discovered the service feature (PKPServicesContainer) and I want to provide services from plugins.

The services available via ServicesContainer::instance()->get() are hardcoded in the provider registered for the specific product e.g. OJSServiceProvider. Now i need a solution to register the services somehow without touching the core files.

Here is my current solution:

1. Add a hook in PKPServicesContainer::get()

public function get($service) {
     	HookRegistry::call('PKPServicesContainer::beforeGet',
     		array($this, $this->container, $service));

return $this->container[$service];
     }

2. Listen to the hook call in a plugin …

public function register($category, $path, $mainContextId = null) {
    	HookRegistry::register('PKPServicesContainer::beforeGet', array($this, 'pkpServicesContainerBeforeGet'));
    }

3. … to register the service when the hook call is executed

public function pkpServicesContainerBeforeGet($hookName, $args) {
    	$container = $args[1];
    	$service = $args[2];

if ($service == 'submissionWizardRequest' && !isset($container['submissionWizardRequest']))
    		$container->register(new SubmissionWizardRequestServiceProvider());
    }

Before anyone asks why i did not add a hook to PKPServicesContainer::init()

1. i would need to add the hook to every product that uses pkp-lib (OJS, OMP, …)
  2. the PKPServicesContainer::init() call might be executed to early e.g. when a plugin tries to request a service on registration stage, meaning that plugins coming later in the registration chain cannot hook to PKPServicesContainer::init() because PKPServicesContainer::init() is called only once due to PKPServicesContainer being a singleton

The solution should not break anything as it is an optional hook. Perhaps another developer wants to use services too, so may I provide a PR to integrate this feature into pkp-lib?

So lonG
Daniel

@j1shin Did you file a pull request for this? Could you link to it, please?

Et voila :sunglasses:

https://github.com/pkp/pkp-lib/issues/4383