Export to markdown for static site generators (e.g. Hugo/Jekyll)

Thanks, I have been working on porting the health sciences theme so to Hugo. It is available in a Github repository here and I’m using it to run a static mirror whose repository is here.

It is a good way for us to go as a free open access startup because we can combine it with CDNs to deliver fast loading times and guaranteed availability at no additional cost. For example, the traces below from Chrome developer tools shows a mobile test for the PHP site, which is behind Cloudflare, and the same test for the static mirror deployed to Netlify (both CDNs used on their free service tiers).

lighthouse-traces

As noted, we could just switch off our journal front-end in OJS and set up some redirects for our existing articles, but it would leave a few challenges.

1. OAI Repository. Even if the site is set to do workflow only, the OAI repository still lists the resource identifier and relations as the OJS URL and galleys. We would need a way to tell the OAI repository the location of the article’s resources.

2. PKP PLN preservation. Would we still be able to join PKP PLN if we are not using OJS for the journal front end? I can see OJS not being able to send the content from external locations to PLN, but if those files are also uploaded to OJS, would it then be able to preserve them in PLN when the plugin becomes available?

I don’t know much about how to use the API, but it is something I will look into more.

1 Like