Error when importing using native XML import plugin in 3.2.0.3

Dear @Dimitris_Efstathiou, @asmecher and others

I have still problems with the Native Import. I have made a fresh install of ojs 3.2.1-1 and made the corrections in Native Import/export: Unexpected error when importing · Issue #5960 · pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub. I can import a file that has been exported from the same version, but when I try to make my own import file I get similar problem as I described above.

I also tried to use the XML proposed in this thread: HttpError while importing native xml issue ojs 3.2.0-2 - #12 by hsh01 but that does not work either. I get a blank screen.

This is a Fatal Error I have got

[Fri Oct 02 06:14:59.849365 2020] [php7:error] [pid 19857] [client xx.xx.xx.xx:xxx] PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Exception: DB Error: Illegal mix of collations (latin1_swedish_ci,IMPLICIT) and (utf8_general_ci,COERCIBLE) for operation '=' Query: SELECT\ts. *\n\t\t\tFROM\tsections s, section_settings l\n\t\t\tWHERE\tl.section_id = s.section_id AND\n\t\t\t\tl.setting_name = ? AND\n\t\t\t\tl.setting_value = ? AND\n\t\t\t\ts.journal_id = ? in //lib/pkp/classes/db/DAO.inc.php:703\nStack trace:\n#0 /path-to-ojs/lib/pkp/classes/db/DAO.inc.php(103): DAO->handleError(Object(ADODB_mysqli), 'SELECT\ts.* \n\t\t\tF...')\n#1 /path-to-ojs/classes/journal/SectionDAO.inc.php(101): DAO->retrieve('SELECT\ts.*\n\t\t\tF...', Array)\n#2 /path-to-ojs/plugins/importexport/native/filter/NativeXmlPublicationFilter.inc.php(40): SectionDAO->getByAbbrev('\xD1\x81\xD1\x82', 1)\n#3 /path-to-ojs/lib/pkp/plugins/importexport/native/filter/NativeImportFilter.inc.php(60): NativeXmlPublicationFilter->handleElement(Object(DOMElement))\n#4 /path-to-ojs/lib/pk in /path-to-ojs/lib/pkp/classes/db/DAO.inc.php on line 703, referer: https://domain.com/index.php/test/management/importexport/plugin/NativeImportExportPlugin`

The settings in my config.inc.php is client_charset = utf-8 and connection_charset = utf8 Could it relate to that the database_charset variable is removed in the later versions?

Can you please also update the xml samples in ojs/plugins/importexport/native at 3_2_1-1 · pkp/ojs · GitHub so that they work for the current version?