Error during OMP installation

Hi!
I am trying to install OMP but the installation fails with this error:
Errors occurred during installation
A database error has occurred: SQLSTATE[HY000]: General error: 1025 Error on rename of ‘./omp_34/press_settings’ to ‘./omp_34/#sql-backup-6572-220e7’ (errno: 168 “Unknown (generic) error from engine”) (SQL: alter table press_settings add constraint press_settings_press_id_foreign foreign key (press_id) references presses (press_id) on delete cascade)

Hi @bjarman,

Can you clarify which version you’re using - is it 3.4.0-3?

-Roger
PKP Team

Yes, I am trying to install the latest release, 3.4.0-3.
My environment:

Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS (GNU/Linux 5.15.0-71-generic x86_64)

PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (cli) (built: Aug 18 2023 11:41:11) (NTS)
Copyright (c) The PHP Group
Zend Engine v4.1.2, Copyright (c) Zend Technologies
with Zend OPcache v8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14, Copyright (c), by Zend Technologies

10.6.12-MariaDB-0ubuntu0.22.04.1 Ubuntu 22.04

I am trying to install in a production environment by running PHP’s built in server like so:
php -S localhost:8000 i /var/www/omp-3.4.0-3
and then i tunnel to this server from my local computer.
This works nicely but fails with the database error in my original post.
Has anyone come across this error and solved it?

Ping @rcgillis Do you have any thoughts on this?

Hi @bjarman,

Sorry, I’m not sure about this. But I will see if one of our other team members can weigh in.

-Roger
PKP Team

1 Like

Hi @bjarman,

This is a MySQL error message and will need attention on that level rather than OMP, I think. It might be related to containerization. See for example these search results:

https://www.google.com/search?q=“Unknown+(generic)+error+from+engine”+“foreign+key”

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi!
This happens during the creation of the database using the GUI from the install script, php -S localhost:8000 i /var/www/omp-3.4.0-3. It is hard for me to believe it is a containerization issue since I do not use docker or any other container for this install.

The install is for this environment:
Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS (GNU/Linux 5.15.0-71-generic x86_64)

PHP 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14 (cli) (built: Aug 18 2023 11:41:11) (NTS)
Copyright (c) The PHP Group
Zend Engine v4.1.2, Copyright (c) Zend Technologies
with Zend OPcache v8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14, Copyright (c), by Zend Technologies

10.6.12-MariaDB-0ubuntu0.22.04.1 Ubuntu 22.04

Also, the error message actually refers to SQL being executed: alter table press_settings add constraint press_settings_press_id_foreign foreign key (press_id) references presses (press_id) on delete cascade

I assume press_settings is a table created during the installation run by the PHP-script?

Hi @bjarman,

Yes, press_settings is a table that’s being created during installation. The specific SQL query that appears to be failing is trying to add a foreign key constraint to the table.

Error 168 seems to indicate that something bad happened to MariaDB/MySQL while trying to add the constraint. A quick look at StackOverflow suggests it can happen related to containerization, or disk space, or your OS’s open file limit, or probably lots of other similar causes related to the filesystem MySQL/MariaDB is trying to store data on. I think you’ll have to solve it by investigating the MySQL configuration. There might be more information logged in the MySQL/MariaDB error log, but I’m not sure.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

This topic was automatically closed after 12 days. New replies are no longer allowed.