DOI as part of the URL in OJS3?

I am almost certain that there is no such option, nevertheless I wanted to ask:

Does OJS3 with DOI plugin a feature to use an assigned DOI in the path to an article?

To give an example: instead of the default path using the submission id, e.g., /article/view/50 the path would be something like /article/view/10.1007/s10506-020-09268-y.

I am aware that there is an option to manually configure article paths but I wonder whether there might be an automatic option to use a route like /article/view/{doi} in case a DOI has been assigned, either in the native article handler or provided by the DOI plugin by any chance.

Hi @mechanicalbutterfly,

Thanks for your post. I had a look through past forum posts and the plugin gallery: GitHub - pkp/plugin-gallery: The Plugin Gallery for the Public Knowledge Project - two likely places where any indication of a plugin of such a nature would appear, and didn’t find anything. That’s not to say that there’s not something there out in the wild, but I would suspect if it did exist it is not widely known. It’s an interesting idea though. I’m not sure what would be involved in creating such a plugin, but I have flagged this post as a “Feature Request” in case any developers wish to comment as to how feasible it might be to develop something like this.

Best regards,

Roger
PKP Team

Hi @mechanicalbutterfly,

While this would be a neat approach to generating unique URLs, I have ben told it is considered a bad practice and discouraged by DOI institutions. You are not supposed to use the DOI in a URL — only the DOI resolving authorities are supposed to do that.

Interesting, especially as some publishers (e.g., Springer Nature) are doing it anyway.

However, cool for me.

This topic was automatically closed after 11 days. New replies are no longer allowed.