Counting the number of Refbacks/Citations

Dear Team,

I would like to ask if there is a simple fix that next to Refbacks (or other change in the locale file, i.e. I changed “Refbacks” to “Cited by”) there also appears a count in brackets of the number of published Refbacks i.e. Refbacks (15), or in my case it will be “Cited by (15)”. Appearing on this number explicitly will be nice for the reader to get direct estimate at a glance of the impact of given article by the number of its citations/refbacks, rather than starting manually counting how many refbacks there are published. For heavily cited articles with more than 20 citations the manual count becomes a burden. Thanks

Hi @dankomed,

This is possible, but you’ll need a little Smarty/PHP experience to do it. The plugin is implemented in plugins/generic/referral/ and in particular you’d need to work with the readerReferrals.tpl template.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Dear Alec, is it possible to post the code that needs to be inserted (copy-pasted) into the readerReferrals.tpl file, or this cannot be simply done by only modifying the readerReferrals.tpl

Thanks

Hi @dankomed,

I can’t code up this sort of modification for you, but if you start and get stuck somewhere, I may be able to offer guidance.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team