Compatibility with PHP version

Can OJS version 2.4.8 is compatible with php 5.6.30?

Hi @Jigna,

Yes, as far as I’m aware. I use PHP 5.6.17 on my development machine.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Sir

Currently I have also using 5.6.16 but now our server, on which I have
hosted the OJS is going to update and in new version they use PHP 5.6.30.
So, I have asked for compatibility.
Is OJS compatible with version 5.6.30?

Hi @Jigna,

There are too many PHP versions for us to be able to “certify” every version. However, I do not expect any problems with PHP 5.6.30; if you do encounter a problem, please post it here.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hello,

We have been using OJS since 2007.
The address “http://www.sogaor.org.br/ortodontiagaucha/index.php/sogaor/issue/archive”" is not being resolved. The only change that was made is the php version we are currently with the 7.0.6 version. Any idea what might be experiencing the problem. The OJS does not support PHP7?

There are some folks testing OJS 2.x under PHP 7, but this configuration is not widely in use. See:

If you find particular incompatibilities, feel free to post them to the forum here under a new topic.

Hi all,

Our software includes a String class, and PHP7 has recently introduced its own – so unfortunately we’ll have to rename ours for future releases. Currently PHP7 is not widely used (<1%) but we will be dealing with this soon.

See Ensure PHP7 compatibility · Issue #1118 · pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub for technical details.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Our service provider has upgraded from Apache 2.2 and PHP 5.3 to Apache 2.4 and PHP 5.5. After the upgrade our institutional subscriptions arent’t functioning any longer. Any ideas? Thanks!

Hi @D_Schroeder_Micheel,

Could you post this (along with your OJS version) in a new thread?

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi, Alec,

We are using OJS 2.4.8 with php5.3. It works fine. But, when I upgrade php from 5.3 to 5.6, I got a fatal error.

Fatal error: Call to a member function getPrimaryLocale() on null in /virtual/sabsnpo/public_html/medbiol.sabsnpo.org/EJ/classes/i18n/AppLocale.inc.php on line 116

What is wrong?

Regards,

Hiroshi Kawasaki

Hi @kawasaki,

OJS 2.4.8 works fine with OJS 5.6 – that is one of my development environments. Did you change anything else when upgrading to PHP5.6, e.g. move to a different server, or change your database configuration, or something else?

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Dear Alec,

Thank you for your reply.

I changed the severe setting form php5.3 to php5.6.

Do I need run an upgrade script or alike of OJS to adopt the server setting?

Anyway, I moved OJS 2.4.8 to a separate server with php 7.1 and successfully upgrade it to OJS3.1. It works fine now.

We use a rental server, so the setting of the server is somewhat out of our control.

OJS 3.1 has no locale files for ja_JP. We need to import them from OJS 2.4.8 and add translations to them.

Also, we need to change looks of the site for Japanese conventions.

I will post several how-to questions for the setting of site or on which php script is related to the layout of pages.

Thank you again.

— Hiroshi Kawasaki

Hi @kawasaki,

It shouldn’t be necessary to run an upgrade script when changing PHP versions – as long as your PHP version is compatible with your OJS, you should be fine. (When going from PHP6 to PHP7 you’ll probably need to change your database driver from mysql to mysqli if you’re using MySQL.)

It sounds like you’re up and running with PHP7, which is fine too.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Thank you, I fixed my “problem” by setting the DB driver in config.inc.php to mysqli instead of mysql.

Thanks