Change username function

Describe the problem you would like to solve
If a user needs to change their username, it currently can’t be done without access to the database.

Describe the solution you’d like
Ideally, a user should be able to change their username via their profile options. If not on a user level then the Journal Manager should be able to do this via Users & Roles.

Who is asking for this feature?
Journal users and Journal Managers

Additional information

Hi @TimW,

Just an idle thought, but another option for this would be to move towards removing the username field entirely in favour of email. (Related: OJS Login with email address instead of username)

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi @asmecher - there would definitely be some benefits from using email. That would work for us.

Tim

@TimW @asmecher Using email would be fine, but in our journals, it’s not uncommon for a user to decide to use another email address, either because they’ve moved to a new institution or because they want to use a personal address instead of an institutional one, or vice versa.

If this was implemented, the email address for a user would still need to be able to be changed.

1 Like

oh, of course - I assume that the user can update their email via the profile as normal. This would then update the login requirement.

Hi, @TimW Thanks! The username currently can’t be changed, so I wanted to make sure that, if email address was used as the username, that it could be changed.

Why not create a new user with the new username, then merge the old username into it? Am I missing something?