Can I publish the same paper in two issues?

Our journal publishes regular and special issues. To make papers available as soon as possible, we publish special issue papers immediately in the current regular issue and then, when all the special issue papers are processed, combine them in the special issue.
So far, we create a PDF-file with all the special issue papers and put that into the respective issue in OJS. The downside of that is that the individual papers do not show up on the special issue landing page. Does anyone know a way to get the individual papers listed on the landing page? I found that I can generate second versions of the papers and put those into the special issue. The drawback of that is that the original versions are now marked as “outdated”.

Best
Gunther

Hi @Gunther_Maier,

What specific version of OJS are you using (e.g. 3.2.1). Please include this information in your posts, as it will aid others in offering suggestions. There are different capabilities for continuous publishing in different versions, but if you are using a later version of OJS 3, you should be able to assign them to an issue as they are released, and then later assign them to a special issue. I don’t think, however, that you would be able to assign an article to two issues simultaneously - OJS is not able to do that. You could, technically export the submission and import it in almost as if it were a new submission? You’d effectively have two versions of the same submission in your system. This could be potentially problematic when it comes to indexing though, because the same article could show up in the same index twice.

-Roger
PKP Team

We use version 3.3.0.8

Thank you. I checked in 3.3.0-8 and since an article needs to be assigned to a particular issue, its not possible to assign it to two simultaneously. Exporting and reimporting the article, or resubmitting it via QuickSubmit, and then adding it to a new issue may be feasible, but as I noted this could possibly lead to issues if you’re indexing.

-Roger
PKP Team

1 Like

From what I understand from your

statement, the Forthcoming articles plugin might meet your need.

1 Like

Thank you so much for checking. I will see if I can find another solution. All I really need is for example a plugin that inserts the links to the respective articles on the special issue page. I may try to write such a plugin.

Best
Gunther

Thank you for your suggestion. I looked into it briefly, but don’t think it will solve my issue. The suggested plugin requires a second version of the paper and only shows either one or the other.
I am thinking of writing a plugin that inserts the usual TOC entries into the special issue page. This way, the one version of the paper would just be accessible from two different places. This is really all I need.
Best
Gunther

Hi @Gunther_Maier,

I’d recommend against “formally” publishing an article in 2 places. This would make citations ambiguous and confuse downstream consumers of the data like CrossRef, Google Scholar, etc.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

1 Like

Hi Alec,
thank you for your comment. I agree. Actually, we keep all the information relevant for indexing unchanged. Also, in the special issue we give the original paper reference.
Based on the reactions to my question, I probably should reformulate my issue somewhat. What I would like to get is a second table of contents entry pointing to the landing page of an article in another issue.
I may be able to solve this issue by writing a plugin.
Best
Gunther Maier

1 Like

Hi Gunther,
for this you could also use the “Categories” feature to group articles, see menu Journal > Categories in the backend.

We do so for our columns of our society’s divisions. Each category is then linked via a navigation menu entry.

See CHIMIA , menu “Columns” or e.g. A Perspective on Chemistry and Society : A Column on the Occasion of the 75th Anniversary of CHIMIA | CHIMIA for a specific column our journal had last year.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 6 days. New replies are no longer allowed.