Allow remotely hosted files with chapters

At Language Science Press, we use OMP. We publish monographs and edited volumes. For edited volumes, we offer the full book as pdf as well as chapter downloads as pdf.
The chapter pdfs are in their own publication formats, which are linked to the chapters. Here you can see an example: Empirical studies in translation and discourse | Language Science Press

We are in the process of changing our setup to remote hosting on Zenodo.org . Our book pdfs are already on Zenodo, and we use “remotely hosted” publication formats to link to them.
We would like to do the same for chapters. Unfortunately, currently only locally hosted publication formats can be linked to chapters (via the selection of files). This means that we have to provide local copies of our chapter pdfs next to the ones already available on Zenodo.

We request a feature that also remotely hosted files can be linked to chapters.

Hi @snordhoff,

This should already be feasible in OMP. Please see here: Role-specific Workflows

There is an option that reads “this format will be available at a separate website” and you are given an option to give a URL.

Have you tried this already? If so, perhaps could you try and see if that meets your needs?

-Roger
PKP Team

yes, this is what we do for complete books. But we would like to do it for chapters as well. If you look at Empirical studies in translation and discourse | Language Science Press, you will see that the format [PDF] below the cover has the little arrow, indicating an external resource. This is not possible for the format [Chapter 1], found below “Post-editing: a genealogical perspective on translation practice”. We would like to be able to use it for [Chapter 1] as well.

Hi @snordhoff,

I see what you mean. Thank you for the example. You make a good point. I see that there is an effort to refactor the way OMP handles submissions files that is outlined here: https://github.com/pkp/pkp-lib/issues/6702 - @NateWr - hopefully this would include having the ability have chapters as remote galleys?

-Roger
PKP Team

Hi @snordhoff,

Yes, unfortunately this is a limitation of the relationship of submission files to chapters. They do not have all of the features of publication formats or galleys (their equivalent in OJS). I have proposed bringing galleys into OMP, which would address this issue, but I don’t think it’s likely to happen soon.

1 Like