After upgrade to OJS 3.2.1.3 - ORCID plugin producing fatal error

Hi @Dulip_Withanage ,

I am using OJS: 3.3.0.3 and Php: 7.4.15

I would like to share some information regarding the ORCID Plugin. I noticed the two different errors in two different scenarios.
1- When User click on the site wide home page Register button it will show the following error page

and in the php error log it shows as below

[11-Mar-2021 03:34:53 America/New_York] PHP Warning: assert(): assert($context != null) failed in /home/seisense/journal.seisense.com/plugins/generic/orcidProfile/OrcidProfilePlugin.inc.php on line 303
[11-Mar-2021 03:34:53 America/New_York] PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to a member function getId() on null in /home/seisense/journal.seisense.com/plugins/generic/orcidProfile/OrcidProfilePlugin.inc.php:304
Stack trace:
#0 /home/seisense/journal.seisense.com/plugins/generic/orcidProfile/OrcidProfilePlugin.inc.php(343): OrcidProfilePlugin->buildOAuthUrl('orcidAuthorize', Array)
#1 /home/seisense/journal.seisense.com/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/smarty/smarty/libs/sysplugins/smarty_internal_runtime_filterhandler.php(63): OrcidProfilePlugin->registrationFilter('<!DOCTYPE html>...', Object(Smarty_Internal_Template))
#2 /home/seisense/journal.seisense.com/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/smarty/smarty/libs/sysplugins/smarty_internal_template.php(231): Smarty_Internal_Runtime_FilterHandler->runFilter('output', '<!DOCTYPE html>...', Object(Smarty_Internal_Template))
#3 /home/seisense/journal.seisense.com/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/smarty/smarty/libs/sysplugins/smarty_internal_templatebase.php(232): Smarty_Internal_Template->render(false, 1)
#4 /home/seisense/journal.seisense.com/lib/pkp/lib/vendo in /home/seisense/journal.seisense.com/plugins/generic/orcidProfile/OrcidProfilePlugin.inc.php on line 304

Whereas in another case:
2- The user receives an email at the copyedit stage for Registering or connecting the ORCID and use follow that link then the it shows the following error page:

and in php error log it shows the following error

[11-Mar-2021 04:09:21 America/New_York] PHP Warning:  assert(): assert(false) failed in /home/seisense/journal.seisense.com/lib/pkp/pages/management/ManagementHandler.inc.php on line 82
[11-Mar-2021 04:09:21 America/New_York] ojs2: 404 Not Found

Hope it helps to figure out and get a fix to this issue.
Thanks

Hi @seisense ,
did you install the 3.3.0 plugin using plugin gallery or through submodule updates ?

If you have the latest version Release v1_1_2-14 · pkp/orcidProfile · GitHub let me know. Otherwise, one of the links points to settings, which is a tinymce error we had. Let me know first, if the plugin is new, then I will have a look , what is the cause for thtat.

I have the latest ORCID plugin 1.1.2-14 and installed it through the plugin gallery from within the OJS. It was showing me the update available so I updated it.
see the snapshot below:

I am currently using OJS 3.3.0.3 with PHP version 7.4
Thanks

Hi @Dulip_Withanage ,
I was hoping the fix with OJS 3.3.0.4 yet after installing the latest OJS, the problem is there. Authors are not able to authenticate ORCID and in PHP error log:

[18-Mar-2021 13:07:59 Asia/Riyadh] PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught Error: Call to a member function getId() on null in /home/seisense/journal.seisense.com/plugins/generic/orcidProfile/OrcidProfilePlugin.inc.php:304
Stack trace:
#0 /home/seisense/journal.seisense.com/plugins/generic/orcidProfile/OrcidProfilePlugin.inc.php(343): OrcidProfilePlugin->buildOAuthUrl('orcidAuthorize', Array)
#1 /home/seisense/journal.seisense.com/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/smarty/smarty/libs/sysplugins/smarty_internal_runtime_filterhandler.php(63): OrcidProfilePlugin->registrationFilter('<!DOCTYPE html>...', Object(Smarty_Internal_Template))
#2 /home/seisense/journal.seisense.com/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/smarty/smarty/libs/sysplugins/smarty_internal_template.php(231): Smarty_Internal_Runtime_FilterHandler->runFilter('output', '<!DOCTYPE html>...', Object(Smarty_Internal_Template))
#3 /home/seisense/journal.seisense.com/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/smarty/smarty/libs/sysplugins/smarty_internal_templatebase.php(232): Smarty_Internal_Template->render(false, 1)
#4 /home/seisense/journal.seisense.com/lib/pkp/lib/vendo in /home/seisense/journal.seisense.com/plugins/generic/orcidProfile/OrcidProfilePlugin.inc.php on line 304

Looking forward positively.

Hi @Dulip_Withanage ,
OJS 3.3.0.4
I have two journals on my OJS installation.
I noticed that with first journal it is working fine (successfuly authenticating the author ORCID) but with second jouranl when author click on the link provided in email to authenticate, it gives the error message " 404 not found".

I have treid the following:
1- Deleted the orcid plugin and reinstalled from within OJS.
2- Created one more account on ORCID and used that client id and secret…

But it does not autheticate the ORCID.
Looking forward to solution.
Thanks

Hi @seisense ,

Did you register the https://journal.seisense.com/ as URLby orcid.org or was it a direct journal path ?

Hi @Dulip_Withanage
For first journal I used the following link on orcid:
website URL and Redirect URIs: https://journal.seisense.com/index.php/jom

whereas for second journal I used the following link on orcid:
website URL and Redirect URIs: https://journal.seisense.com/index.php/sbr

and I have the problem with the first journal only.

Hi @Dulip_Withanage ,
I have further investigated this issue and noticed that problem is only when the author click on the link in the email to authenticate.

Further I found:
1- if new user registering on the jouranl site through the orcid option - it is working fine
2- The user directly use the option of " create or connect ORCID " from the profile option under " public" tab. It is still working fine.

So, the prblem is only when the user follow the link in the email.
Thanks

While waiting for any development from @Dulip_Withanage on the issue of ORCID, I noticed that while the author clicks on the link in the email; it opens with the error " Not Found".
If I delete the highlighted part in the address bar, it opens the link of ORCID to authenticate…

Using the latest OJS 3.3.0.4
Looking forward positively…

the error looks like it comes from the email template which was a general issue, cause you have the settings in url.
Can you check, if you have the correct code here in your server.

src/components/Form/fields/FieldRichTextarea.vue

@Dulip_Withanage,
Where exactly I can find this? I am not able to locate in Cpanel anywhere.
src/components/Form/fields/FieldRichTextarea.vue

lib/ui-library/src/components/Form/fields/FieldRichTextarea.vue

Hi @Dulip_Withanage and @asmecher
I open the thread in January with my OJS 3.2.1.3. Since then I am upgrading every OJS update as soon as it is released with the hope that it will bring the fix.
Today, I have updated the latest OJS version 3.3.0.5 and the error remains there.

I believe this directory available for those who are installing/upgrading manually. But I am installing and upgrading from the cPanel with Softaculous. Maybe this update was not packaged for those who are upgrading from cPanel with Softaculous.
Hope you will bring up the solution and help me fix this issue.
Thanks

@asmecher and @NateWr

I am Using OJS 3.3.0.5

1- still waiting patiently…
where can I find the

lib/ui-library/src/components/Form/fields/FieldRichTextarea.vue

when I am installing/upgrading OJS through cPanel with Softaculous.

2- I have noticed that I can not save Email templates. This issue is discussed and closed here

and once again the fix offered is leading to a file in the ui-library.
So, I need your help in how to get to this file path as I do not see this in cpanel (file manager).

Thanks

Hi @seisense,

Unfortunately the javascript package needs to be rebuilt to fix this bug. I’ve put more details in the issue: Email templates can not be saved because of data from disabled locales · Issue #6938 · pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub

But I am installing and upgrading from the cPanel with Softaculous

I would strongly discourage you from using Softaculous to upgrade your journal. We do not maintain or have any relationship with Softaculous, and they do not vet their upgrade procedures with us in any way. Many OJS installations have been broken by a bad Softaculous upgrade. Make sure you’ve got good backups to use.

Thanks @NateWr for your helpful suggestions. I ll wait for the next upgrade 3.3.0.6. I will try the next upgrade of 3.3.0.6 by running a web-based script. Hope it will resolve both the issues:
1- Email templates not savings and
2- ORCID authentication error

Hi @seisense ,

will be thankful, if you confirm the status after trying the newer version.

Hi @Dulip_Withanage
I have currently installed ORCID version 1.1.2.14 ( Is there any newer version available?)

1- This latest version I installed back on March 8 with OJS 3.3.0.3
2- Then, I upgraded the OJS to 3.3.0.4 on March 18
3- And then once again I upgraded the OJS on April 12 to the latest OJS version 3.3.0.5

ORCID authentication error remains there and never gets resolved.
Thanks

Hi @Dulip_Withanage and @NateWr
I want to confirm here that both the problems are solved with the upgrade to OJS 3.3.0.6
The problem was basically with the disabled emailed templates.

Thanks

1 Like

Hi @seisense
Thanks a lot for the confirmation.