Adding article ID in the file names

Describe the problem you would like to solve
In contrast to previous versions of OJS, OJS 3.3 missed the article IDs in the names of their submitted files.

Describe the solution you’d like
It would be sufficient to add an article ID at the beginning of the file name and keep the rest the same as it is now.

Who is asking for this feature?
Editors strongly encourage this feature. They get confused when downloading many articles, which makes them difficult to identify which file belongs to which article.

Zoran

Hi @zmandic,

This has been discussed already quite a bit here: Improve Filename Conventions for Downloaded Files as Part of Submission · Issue #4957 · pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub

There is also here: [OJS 3.3] All file downloaded has "download-file + extension" as name · Issue #7095 · pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub - as @asmecher points out: "The short version is that we haven’t been able to identify a filename form that has been satisfactory for everyone, and every change makes part of our community unhappy. " @asmecher - can you confirm that this is still the current state of discussion around this? I couldn’t spot anything planned for 3.4 that would be address this…

-Roger
PKP Team

Hi Roger,

Yes, I was aware of the discussion but I was unsure about the conclusion.
Anyway, thank you for letting me know.

Kind regards,
Zoran

I give my vote to Zoran.

This have been a petition that arrived to our service since IDs were removed in filenames (ojs 3.2).

I’m sure filenaming is something to talk about in detail because translated versions are too long, include special chars and are not unique (if somebody downloads in Spanish and other in English they got same file but with different names)… but I feel we can add the ID and keep talking about this to improve the naming.

Cheers,
m.

1 Like