Required field feedback at the end of the form

Hi,

when you have a long form (e.g. a review form), the hint “This field is required.” may not be visible from where you are (submit button). In these cases, “nothing” happens when clicking on submit and there is no clue why.

So it would be good to have an additional hint at the end of the form like “some required fields left open”.

best,
Carola

1 Like

Or perhaps a javascript scroll to the first error instance?

Hi @carola,

Is there a particular form/field that you’re finding causes confusion?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi @asmecher,

yes, we had someone assuming the review form is broken,

best,
Carola

Hi @carola,

Hmm, if it’s not something you mind sharing, could you post a screenshot?

Regards,
Alec Smecher

@asmecher,

I tested it on an online test version, so I could send you login data. But maybe the screenshots can give you a good enough impression. This first picture is the way it looks after unsuccessfully submitting the review form. The second picture is the way it looks at the top (but what you don’t see after submitting).

###########################################################

Hi @carola,

I’m not 100% sure I’m seeing the same problem you are, but can you try this patch in lib/pkp?

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi @asmecher,

I hadn’t noticed that the required asterisks where missing … yes, it would be great to have them in some way!

But I meant some information at the bottom about the failure to submit the form, close to the submit button. I attach a screenshot with a possible solution, but there might be better ways to implement it (e.g. like Clinton suggested above to directy jump to the first error instance, or to have a notification popping up).

best,
Carola

Hi @carola,

Ah, I see. We’d need to do that consistently with all forms, I think. @NateWr, what do you think about adding a “Please check the form for errors and try again” type message near the submit button of all forms, when there’s a problem during submission?

Regards,
Alec Smecher

I think currently we include error messages at the top if the form is submitted. The client-side validation checks should lead to error messages next to the field itself. I think this works in general but maybe not for grids that are embedded into forms.

Hello,

My apologies for bringing this topic back, but I think it is a related subject.
About the required fields in a revision form: I have some forms with required and not required fields, but if a reviewer tries to submit the form without filling the non required fields, it doesn’t allow to proceed because it complains about the fields being required (which are not).

Checked the DB, and that forms and fields are ‘0’ in required, and checked the code and didn’t found a possible issue. No errors are reported.

Thank you,
Best regards

Hi @digitojs,

What version of OJS are you using? (Please include this in your posts.)

I think this is probably the same as the issue described on this other thread.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi @asmecher,

Sorry, OJS 3.0.2.
It seems the exact same issue. I’ll follow up in there, missed that topic!
Thank you!

Best regards