OJS 3 Portuguese translation

Hi,
I have a problem with the file “default.xml” in folder lib/pkp/locale/pt_PT.
I create this file, but the system can’t Recognize the translation.
If i create a new journal it works. What I think has to the base with the date, but i do not know.
Someone can help?
Thanks.

Hi @Destapado,

Many of the defaults in the default.xml locale file are installed into the database upon journal creation. (You can see these listed in registry/journalSettings.xml.) After the journal has been created, you’ll have to change those settings by editing the journal setup. To test translations you’ve made in the default.xml file, try creating a new journal and checking its settings.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi @asmecher ,
Thanks, maybe i didn’t explain the issue well.
For new journals the new “default.xml” is working fine (the file originally didn’t exist for my language pt_PT) the issue remains for the old journals created before the OJS upgrade. They were originally created on OJS 2.3.6 it seems that for those journals the file doesn’t exist.
Thanks.

Hi @Destapado,

Can you describe the content that seems to be missing? I’m not sure default.xml is the mechanism for this, but I’m not sure I understand the root problem you’re encountering fully.

Regards
Alec Smecher

Hi @asmecher,
In old journal i have this,

And when i create a new journal

This is my problem.
Did you get it?
Thanks

Hi @Destapado,

It looks as though the upgrade installs the localized information for the locale the user is currently working with, but potentially not other locales. Do you have multiple locales enabled in your system? If so, I suspect one was installed, but not the Portuguese one you’re looking at.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi,

How can I help the translation for portuguese of OJS 3.0?

Regards,
Filipe Almeida

Hi @filipekjp,

Tagging @mtub, who manages translations!

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Thanks @asmecher.

@mtub
How can I help the translation for portuguese of OJS 3.0?

Regards,
Filipe Almeida

1 Like

Hi OJS community,

I am also from Portugual. The portuguese version of OJS 3 is a little incomplete; since soon we will be using it for a new journal and I will translate some UI fields manually I would also like to contribute with. How is the translation work organized? - is it centralized in some GitHub page were one can clone and push updates to be merged by someone? If yes, what is the working repository url?

Thank you and kind regards
Paulo

Edit (tagging): @mtub

Hi @Paulo,

are you talking about the pt_PT (Portugal) or the pt_BR (Brazil) locale? The Brazilian locale is quite complete, the pt_PT locale is lacking more translations.

Best,
Marco

Hi @filipekjp, @Paulo,

there is some documentation available at https://pkp.sfu.ca/wiki/index.php?title=Translating_OxS and at https://pkp.sfu.ca/wiki/index.php?title=Github_Documentation_for_PKP_Contributors.

The translations are all hosted on GitHub as part of the PKP repositories, mostly

There are two Portuguese locales – pt_BR and pt_PT. The Brazilian version is more complete. You will find contact details for translators of the two locales at https://pkp.sfu.ca/wiki/index.php?title=OJS:Portuguese(pt_PT) and https://pkp.sfu.ca/wiki/index.php?title=OJS:Portuguese(pt_BR).

Hi @mtub,

Thanks for your time and info, with the GitHub links it will be easy to contribute.

I was talking about the pt_PT (Portugal) version. Recently I noticed the Brazillian one is complete, but unfortunately we can only use the european Portuguese. In fact 95% of the texts must be the same, not much of a difference bettween both locales (only very few words and grammar), it is more a politican thing since each country understands the other perfectly, but people from one don’t likes to use the version from the other pff.

I’ll commit when I update the pt_PT version.

Thanks, regards

This sounds amazing. Feel free to get in touch with any questions you might have. Maybe building upon pt_BR and adapting to your pt_PT needs is a fast way to complete your translation.

Sorry,
I need traslate timeline months to Portuguese PT portugal and spanish to.
I view in another sites the names of months in portuguese, can you help me.
Thanks
http://www.esght.ualg.pt/sleee/sleee2017/index.php/SLEEE2017/SLEEE2017
OCS conference sorry (SOAC/OCS 2.3.6.0)

Another question
I don´t need the little combo in “Idioma do formulário”
http://www.esght.ualg.pt/sleee/sleee2017/index.php/SLEEE2017/SLEEE2017/user/account
I can delete this combo
Thanks

Hi @Raul1,

Rather than reopening this old thread, can you create a new topic? That’ll help keep the forum organized.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

OK. Sorry,
Thanks
Regards
Raul Filipe

Hello everyone,

I’ve had the same issues with the incomplete PT_PT translation, so I’ve manually changed and updated several fields. For the current moment I think the translation is more complete and I didn’t detect any problem with the main and regular functions in OJS. I’ll be glad to contribute with the information or locales files. As tom789 asked, how is this organized? I’m not using git with OJS but it could be arranged.

Thank you,
Best regards

Hi @digitojs,

FYI, the tom789 account was a spammer, so I’ve deleted it.

Tagging @mtub, who manages translations.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hello.

I’ve been tracking this problem since I have a similar situation, although my desired local language is Spanish.

When I made the update to OJS 3.0.2, I notice that some of the labels were missing, and I thougt that part of the translation was incomplete, but then I notice that some labels weren’t there even when the file was ok.

I made a lot of tests, and now I think the problem is related with the language you set as locale when making the update:

• When I made the update, I set wrong the locale to English, and I have problems when I change the language to Spanish

• Then I made a copy of the backup of the old instalation to a local instalation and made an update, setting the locale to Spanish, now it works ok with Spanish, but I have problems when changing to English

I also notice that some of the data on the database were wrong in my local instalation, where the data is complete just for Spanish.

I can complete the data in that table and solve the problem, but I hope this helps to detect the problem in future releases.