Assign menu to issue in OJS 3.0.1.0

Some journals do have so called First on-line part in which they publish articles that will later be assigned to issues. Maybe that can be solved by creating issue with name First On-line and assign that issue to menu in navbar. Can we assign issue to menu in navbar?

Thanks

Hi @vvucic,

We plan to add some features broadly supporting continuous publication models similar to what you describe in a future release of OJS – either 3.1 or 3.2. Meanwhile, your workaround is what I’d recommend. For the moment you’ll need to modify the template files to add this to the menu, though we’ve had requests for a tool to modify menus via the setup pages and will be accommodating that in the future.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

OK. Thanks. please give me an example of code so I can do it myself. Thanks in advance

Hi @vvucic,

The primary navigation menu is implemented in templates/frontend/components/primaryNavMenu.tpl.

The URL for the current issue is inserted into the markup using…

{url router=$smarty.const.ROUTE_PAGE page="issue" op="current"}

You would generate the URL for a specific issue using, instead…

{url router=$smarty.const.ROUTE_PAGE page="issue" op="view" path="issue_id_here"}

(…replacing issue_id_here with the appropriate issue ID.)

This is untested, but should work.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hello, When I add ID 55 in my case I got in menu whole path. Please check here.
I put screenshot

This is code that I put

• {url router=$smarty.const.ROUTE_PAGE page="issue" op="view" path="55"} {translate key="navigation.onlinefirst"}
  • I added translation key in En-US locale.xml and it shows its title properly near the path. I guess the path should not be visible. It should point to key in EN-US locale and made it active as menu.

When I wrote like this

• {translate key="navigation.onlinefirst"}
  • I have got proper result However, I would like to get issue id 55 to be out of Archive, if possible. Thanks

Hi @vvucic,

Can you quote your posts when writing code in them? I can’t tell what you’re working with in the above post. This forum uses Markdown syntax.

Regards,
    Alec Smecher

The code is here:
    http://pastebin.com/P3GvpsLw

Hi @vvucic,

That looks OK to me at a glance – could you describe how you’d like it to behave differently?

Regards,
    Alec Smecher

The code that I Put is OK, Without href at the beginning it show whole path in the menu name such as http://public_html/ojs…view…55 and then Menu name as I put in screenshot in my previous post.

When I put that line as href than my installation of OJS shows in navbar menu only menu name given by me only which is fine. However click on menu name show whole path .ie. view of issue with id 55 (in my case).

Thus, addition of href solves the problem o showing technical name of path in the menu name in navbar menu. Thus, it is not sufficient only to put that path = “id” (in my case 55).
    You can check the result here:
    http://thermal-science.tech/index.php/thsci

I hope I am clear.

Hi @vvucic,

I’m not sure I’m following… Is the problem that “Archives” is showing in the breadcrumbs? You can customize that by editing/overriding templates/frontend/components/breadcrumbs_issue.tpl.

Regards,
    Alec Smecher

Hello,
    It is not in breadcrums but in Archives of journals. Since the issue that is called First On line is separate and under continuous changes it should not be listed under menu Archive.
    Thanks

Hi @vvucic,

If you want to exclude that issue from the archives listing, you’ll need to edit templates/frontend/pages/issueArchive.tpl as well.

Regards,
    Alec Smecher

Hmm. Checking it. DO you have suggestion what should be done there?

Hi @vvucic,

The loop that presents all issues is…

{iterate from=issues item=issue}
        <li>
            {include file="frontend/objects/issue_summary.tpl"}
        </li>
    {/iterate}

Inside this loop, I would suggest adding an {if ...} statement to check if this is the issue you want to exclude, and not present the issue in the listing if so.

Regards,
    Alec Smecher

SHould that statement include that if ID=55 that issue should not be included in archive?

Hi @vvucic,

Yes, the {if ...} statement should probably check the issue ID.

Regards,
    Alec Smecher