Work with files

Hello everyone,

I have an idea with marking files in submission. I want to get the location of file - of every article in issue and show them on my own page. Could you help me with some start, what functions I should use? Or which handler is right for my stuff?

I found functions getFile() and readFile() in ArticleFileManager.inc.php. Is this right way how to work with physical fe. PDF files?

Thanks a lot.

Duff

Hi @duff,

Could you describe a little more specifically what you’re trying to do? Are you hoping to turn the publication front-end into a megajournal, for example, or something different?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi asmecher,

Sorry for brevity in my first question. I need to make my own operations upon the article file (I have some script, which edit PDF document, and I need to edit every article in issue - not important now, only for imagine). So i need to get a full path to file of article. Is that better explanation?

Thank you.

duff

Hi @duff,

This will depend on what you’re doing a little more specifically. But if you want to walk through all the files in your journal, then you’re probably best using a mixture of different DAOs. For example (untested but should serve)…

$articleDao =& DAORegistry::getDAO();
$articleFileDao =& DAORegistry::getDAO('ArticleFileDAO');
import('classes.file.ArticleFileManager');

$articles = $articleDao->getArticlesByJournalId($journalId);
while ($article =& $articles->next()) {
    $articleFileManager = new ArticleFileManager($articleId);
    $articleFiles =& $articleFileDao->getArticleFilesByArticle($article->getId());
    foreach ($articleFiles as $articleFile) {
        ...do something here...
    }
    unset($article);
}

Have a look at ArticleFileManager to see what’s available for functions there; it doesn’t currently expose the full path outside that class, I don’t think, so you may have to assemble the pathname yourself.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi @asmecher,

for start thanks a lot, i don’t need all articles of journal, but only of current issue. But it’s ok. I think, when I need files of current issue, i will use IssueFileDAO, right?

I’ve tried your code, but I get and “Unrecognized DAO !”, I’ve browsed Application.inc.php, and it seems ok - getDAO('ArticleFileDAO'). So I updated your code $articleDao =& DAORegistry::getDAO(); -->added
$articleDao =& DAORegistry::getDAO(‘ArticleDAO’);

Just first step I’m trying:

import('classes.article.ArticleFileDAO');        
    $articleDao =& DAORegistry::getDAO('ArticleDAO');
    $articleFileManager = new ArticleFileManager($articleId);
        echo $articleFile;
    }
    unset($article);

with an error:

Fatal error: Call to a member function getJournalId() on a non-object in C:\xampp\htdocs\ojs245\classes\file\ArticleFileManager.inc.php on line 52

It should output a list of files of journal, is that right?

duff

Hi,

I’ve added

$journalId = (int) $journalId;

But now, I’m getting blank page. So, is there any more to write, just to test this code?

Thanks a lot.

duff

Hi @duff,

I think the $articleId variable isn’t initialized. Use $article->getId() instead of $articleId.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi @asmecher,

we wrote in same time :). I’ve added

But now, only blank page, without informations. When I tried to use $article->getId(); - no changes. Still blank page.

duff

Hi @duff,

Can you put your changes online as a fork to the OJS repository on github.com? It’s much easier to spot and comment on issues there.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi @asmecher,

For now, it’s my own page, and I have only this code in StampHadler:

import('classes.handler.Handler');
class StampHandler extends Handler {
    function stampingOperation($args, $request) {

$templateMgr = TemplateManager::getManager($request);
        $templateMgr->display('stamp/stampingOperation.tpl');

$articleFileManager = new ArticleFileManager($article->getId());
            echo 'FILE';
        }
        unset($article);
        }

}

} 

So, i don’t want to upload it.But if I can upload there my own page, I will do it :).

Thanks,

duff

edit:
I forked it and commited my ownpage:

Hi,

i’ve resolved the listing of journal articles:
import(‘classes.handler.Handler’);

class StampHandler extends Handler {

function stampingOperation($args, $request) {
      $templateMgr = TemplateManager::getManager($request);
      $templateMgr->display('stamp/stampingOperation.tpl');

$articleFileManager = new ArticleFileManager($article->getId());

$filePath = $articleFileManager->filesDir .  $articleFileManager->fileStageToPath($articleFile->getFileStage()) . '/' . $articleFile->getFileName();    
            echo $filePath.'<br>';
        unset($article);
        }
      }
    }
}

So this is ok - the output is the filename of every article in my journal. I’ve got every information, what I need. The second task of my plan is to list articles only of current Issue, but i didn’t found similar function as getArticlesByJournal(). Is there any predefined function, which I could use?

Second Question about enablePageNumber - how can I turn on this function to show pages of Article on IssueToc? Is that part of any plugin?

Thanks a lot.

duff

Hi @duff,

Have a look at the getCurrentIssue function of IssueDAO.
http://pkp.sfu.ca/ojs/doxygen/stable/html/classIssueDAO.html

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi @asmecher,

I’d looked on this before, but i don’t think, that is what I need. I need to select only for example articles from issue 2. The parameter of getCurrentIssue() is $journalId, so i have no idea, how use it to filter these articles.

I will place my script on IssueToc page, where is the list of articles, and I need their physical files. Could you please describe me more your suggestion? Thank you.

duff

Hi @duff,

There are lots of good examples in the Technical Reference and the existing codebase; I’d suggest doing some exploring there. I’m happy to help here, but a little wary of the time cost in guiding through coding specifics – the development team is the same as the support team here. Do some reading, and if you really get stuck, I can perhaps identify some useful examples.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi @asmecher,

I’m sorry, of course I understand this. I’m preparing my own function to retrieve articles, which I need. I’m using TR, so I hope, i will be succesful. Thanks a lot for your help.

duff

Hi @duff,

Sure – and if/when you do get stuck, I’ll be happy to help over here.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hello @asmecher,

I’ve solved out almost everything what I need and make a big step, but now, I’m trying to get last thing, which I need in my script. It’s the Author Name (First and Last) of Article.

I was trying to find some function, but I’ve found only getLastName(), which isn’t exactly what I need. It’s an array, an I have no idea, how to get the right information what I need (because of that object in array).

So, before I start to make my own way, how to get Author full name, could you please help me with some “kick” if there is some easy way how to get Author name, if I’m getting articles and files, with script above.

I tried one thing:

function &getAuthorByArticleId($articleId = null) {
		$primaryLocale = AppLocale::getPrimaryLocale();
		$locale = AppLocale::getLocale();

if ($articleId !== null) $params[] = (int) $articleId;

$result =& $this->retrieve('SELECT	aut.* FROM	authors aut WHERE aut.submission_id ='.$articleId);

$returner = new DAOResultFactory($result, $this, '_returnArticleFromRow');
		return $returner;
	}

And then, in IssueManagementHandler.inc.php I’m doing this in foreach:

$articleAuthor = $articleDao->getAuthorByArticleId($article->getId());

$TempAuthor = $articleAuthor;

but $TempAuthor is null. Thank for some help.

Best regards,

duff

Hi @duff,

It shouldn’t be necessary to write your own function for this. Depending on what kind of answer you want to get from the database, there are two things you can do:

• For the submitting user (who may or may not be the author, but generally is), use $article->getUserId(), e.g…

$userDao =& DAORegistry::getDAO('UserDAO');
      $submittingUser =& $userDao->getById($article->getUserId();

You can then work with the $submittingUser variable, which will be a User object.

• For the authors themselves, use $article->getAuthors(). For example…

$authors =& $article-.getAuthors();
      foreach ($authors as $author) {
          (work with the $author object)
      }

These will be Author objects.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Thank you asmecher, the second thing is what I need. Still have to learn.

If I could please you about one last thing. On the IssueToc I have as input in foreach the files of every article which is scheduled to this issue.

In basis, the order of the articles is sorted by the filename - e.g.
28-88-1-PB.pdf
29-89-1-PB.pdf
30-90-1-PB.pdf

I’ve scored one case, where I upload testing documents “right” way, first article1.pdf, second article2.pdf, third article3.pdf, etc… But the order was changed like this: article3.pdf, article1.pdf, article2.pdf - that’s only an example. I don’t know, why it’s happened, in other issues, that was ok.

But, main thing - In issueToc, there are possiblity to moveArticles and change order before publishing. I’m using modificated script (4th reply) to get files of these articles - but it doesn’t respect changed order. That’s clear.

If I would like to get articles in right order, I need to use same function like in issueToc:

// get issue sections and articles
		$publishedArticleDao =& DAORegistry::getDAO('PublishedArticleDAO');
		$publishedArticles = $publishedArticleDao->getPublishedArticles($issueId);

$layoutEditorSubmissionDao =& DAORegistry::getDAO('LayoutEditorSubmissionDAO');
		$proofedArticleIds = $layoutEditorSubmissionDao->getProofedArticlesByIssueId($issueId);
		$templateMgr->assign('proofedArticleIds', $proofedArticleIds);

$currSection = 0;
		$counter = 0;
		$sections = array();
		$sectionCount = 0;
		$sectionDao =& DAORegistry::getDAO('SectionDAO');
		foreach ($publishedArticles as $article) {
			$sectionId = $article->getSectionId();
			if ($currSection != $sectionId) {
				$lastSectionId = $currSection;
				$sectionCount++;
				if ($lastSectionId !== 0) $sections[$lastSectionId][5] = $customSectionOrderingExists?$sectionDao->getCustomSectionOrder($issueId, $sectionId):$sectionCount; // Store next custom order
				$currSection = $sectionId;
				$counter++;
				$sections[$sectionId] = array(
					$sectionId,
					$article->getSectionTitle(),
					array($article),
					$counter,
					$customSectionOrderingExists?
						$sectionDao->getCustomSectionOrder($issueId, $lastSectionId): // Last section custom ordering
						($sectionCount-1),
					null // Later populated with next section ordering
				);

I didn’t understand this script very well. Is there possible to fill the array $articleFiles in above script with sorted articles like in this case? If editor make changes in order, than save it. I’m sorry about my question, but this is too difficult for me still.

Thanks a lot.

duff

Hi @duff,

If you want to get the articles for an issue in the order of publication, you’ll need to use the PublishedArticleDAO. The getPublishedArticles and getPublishedArticlesInSections functions, for example, use the ordering you’re looking for.

Regards,
Alec Smecher