Will OCS work with Apache 2.2, php 5.3, and mysql 5.1?

Hi

I’m trying to install Open Conference Systems 2.3.6 on my server, but at first, I got a blank page after the installation script is executed, so, I activated php debug by adding these two lines

ini_set(‘display_errors’, E_ALL);
error_reporting(E_ALL);

after:
require(‘lib/pkp/includes/bootstrap.inc.php’);

The page coming after the installation script is ran shows:
CAUGHT EXCEPTION: Assigning the return value of new by reference is
deprecated
(/usr/local/html_webs/Submissions/plugins/generic/staticPages/StaticPagesPlugin.inc.php:58)

deprecated
(/usr/local/html_webs/Submissions/lib/pkp/pages/install/PKPInstallHandler.inc.php:40)

deprecated
(/usr/local/html_webs/Submissions/lib/pkp/pages/install/PKPInstallHandler.inc.php:65)

For me it seems that the software isn’t compatible with my setup. According to the REAME file, this are the requirements:
* PHP >= 4.2.x (including PHP 5.x); Microsoft IIS requires PHP 5.x
* MySQL >= 3.23.23 (including MySQL 4.x) or PostgreSQL >= 7.1
(including PostgreSQL 8.x)
* Apache >= 1.3.2x or >= 2.0.4x or Microsoft IIS 6
* Operating system: Any OS that supports the above software, including
Linux, BSD, Solaris, Mac OS X, Windows

I have:

• php 5.3.3-40
  • mysql 5.1.73-3
  • Apache 2.2.15-39
  • Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.6 (Santiago)

So, PHP seems to be supported, but it seams that mysql 5.1 and Apache 2.2 not. Is this right? Are there any plans to include them?

Thanks in advanced

Best regads
Josef

Hi Josef,

Those warnings are not fatal – they’re cosmetic, arising from our need to support PHP’s reference behavior both in PHP4 and PHP5. This means you’ll get a lot of deprecation warnings (you can configure your PHP error reporting to suppress thesse) but you should still be able to run with PHP5.3.

I wonder if you’re hitting some other kind of problem – is there nothing else in the log file that might be relevant?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi Alec

Unfortunately, ocs didn’t show me anything in the apache log file, so, I installed another conference management system, which is also php and mysql based. That system showed me:
PHP Fatal error: Call to undefined function mysqli_connect() in …

So, I realized that for RedHat you also need to install an extra package called: php-mysql

After doing this, I tried again the ocs setup and it worked. So it should be mentioned on the requirements that php-mysql must be installed.

Best regards
Josef

Hi @jmeile,

Glad to hear you got it going. That’s mentioned in our FAQ:

http://pkp.sfu.ca/wiki/index.php/PKP_Frequently_Asked_Questions#The_installation_form_loads_successfully.2C_but_after_clicking_the_button_to_install.2C_a_blank_page_appears_and_the_database_was_not_created.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Yes, you are right!
Sorry, my bad, I was searching in the forum, but didn’t find the FAQ

Hi

ocs works with postgresql version 9?

Hi @drueda,

Yes, OCS should work with PostgreSQL 9, though I haven’t tested it specifically.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

I would strongly suggest to upgrade PHP to at least 5.6.30 since versions of PHP 5.5 and lower are not supported and can have security flaws.

Hi vvucic

To whom are you replying? I was the original poster of this question and it was in year 2015, so, I’m no longer using OCS.

Best regards
Josef

HI, I’m sorry, I continue with the question in the forum The installation form loads successfully, but after clicking the button to install, is fail STATUS 500

I followed data it your first post. I did not know that you do not use it any more. But, the same is valid for all PHP applications.

It’s a really old post in deed. Almost three years :wink:
It was reactivated because somebody replied here with an OT.