Where do editors record their comments in OJS3?

Hello,

We have recently upgraded to OJS 3.0.2.0 and in this new interface, during the review process, I am unable to find the field where editors can type or upload their comments to the authors.

Could you please help me with this information? We often have lengthy comments to the authors, and would like to have them recorded in OJS as “editor comments”, not only type them in the email sent to request revisions.

Thank you!

Hi @oana

I think that there are two ways in OJS 3 that you could use, depending on your workflow:
– Start a discussion with an author – this is a new feature that should provide the better communication/commenting/discussion possibility between the workflow stage participants,
– Upload the files to a existing review, using “Review Details” function and then attach that file when making the decision and informing the author.

Would that help?
Best,
Bozana

Hi @bozana,

Thank you so much for your quick response! Your suggestions are indeed very helpful.
Among the two suggestions, the option of attaching a file containing editorial comments to one of the existing reviews might not be the ideal option for us, as we do not feel that this would adequately reflect the editor’s work.

We would rather try the second option, that of starting a discussion with the author, which is a great feature. Could you please let me know how I could transfer the comments that we type in the “Review Discussions” field when we request revisions? All comments from the reviewers can be imported automatically to the email by clicking on “Add reviews to email”, and files can also be added in the “Reviewer’s Attachments” section. However, I cannot find a direct way to import either text comments typed in the Discussion field, or the files attached in the Discussion field.
Is there such an option that I am missing?

Thanks a lot for the help and thanks for the great work on this new interface.

Best regards,
Oana

Hi @oana,

There is no such option. But the author should have the same discussion grid, so theoretically he/she can see the comments or discussed files directly there. Else, if you however want to attach them with the decision i.e. when requesting revisions, you would have to do it manually at the moment.

Best,
Bozana

Hi @bozana,

Thanks a lot for the feedback! For now, we’ll use the discussion grid and copy the comments manually to the email containing the decision.

Best regards,
Oana