Using iThenticate with OJS: Is there any plugin for it in OJS 3.x

How can I use iThenticate API for similarity check in OJS 3.x. Is there any plugin for it?

3 Likes

Hi @sulaman,

There’s a nearly-completed plugin at GitHub - asmecher/plagiarism: Plagiarism checker plugin for OJS 3/OMP – watch for this plugin to appear in the Plugin Gallery in the near future.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi Alec @asmecher,

Thank you for the kind updates but it seems the query has not been communicated well. I and all colleagues of PKP OJS are long waiting for the release of PKP PN plugin. I would be highly obliged if you or any other team mate of OJS can please update about the estimated date of release of this plugin.

The possible release date of PKP PN plugin will lower the anxiety level and worries of many users of OJS 3.x in their journal management endeavors through OJS. I nonetheless understand the untiring efforts to improve OJS on your part.

Many thanks and regards. Sulaman

Hi @sulaman,

I will respond to your other post about this. Please don’t double-post – it clutters the forum.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi @asmecher, I am sorry for the double posting, it was by mistake. Hoping to hear about PKP PN in response to my other post.

Regards. Sulaman

Hi all – a note regarding the iThenticate (Plagiarism) plugin. It was completed some time ago and is now available via the Plugin Gallery.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Thank you @asmecher for the kind updates. Is this plugin available for OJS 3.01?

Hi @sulaman,

No, I’m afraid it hasn’t been tested with anything older than OJS 3.1.1; I’d suggest upgrading.

Reards,
Alec Smecher

@asmecher,

Is it possible to run this plugin in multi journal OJS environment ? Plugin configuration allows only one username/pass to access iThenticate. Thx.

regards.

Hi @orcalator,

Currently the plugin can only be configured on the site level – changing this would require a little bit of coding, but not much. It’s not a high priority for the dev team at the moment, but as always, code contributions are welcome.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

@asmecher,

Does this mean you can still use one username/pass for all journals or this works only with one journal? Thx.

regards.

Hi @orcalator,

This means it shares the same username/password for all journals. You can still enable/disable the plugin on a per-journal basis, but wherever it is enabled, it will use the same credentials. (The reason for this is that we try to avoid having people enter third-party credentials via the web. There are other approaches that could work, but this is the one we took for now.)

Regards,
Alec Smecher

@asmecher

Ok, thank you for clarification. I was not sure if it binds to particular journal based on username/pass.

regards.

Not sure if this is the right thread for this but I don’t want to clutter the forum with another unnecessarily.

Is there any way to configure the iThenticate plugin to avoid sending in things that are not worth checking like frontmatter (e.g. a whole category like coverpage, frontmatter)?

Otherwise these add unnecessarily both to the iThenticate server load and charges for checking. Using OJS 3.2.0.3.

Hi @SACJ_Editor,

This has been discussed (but not yet prioritized / implemented) here: Plugin puts submission files for one submission in multiple folders · Issue #3 · asmecher/plagiarism · GitHub

Regards,
Alec Smecher

That is not quite the same issue. The problem there is submitting all files in one submission including cover letter. I am asking about stopping all files in a category of submission like cover, frontmatter, editorial.

What is missing is a feature that was on OJS 2.x where an editor could skip review when finalizing submission; that would be better than a hack to change the authenticate plugin for a whole category.

Hi @SACJ_Editor,

Ah, I think you mean enabling/disabling iThenticate for each journal section, in OJS terminology? If so, could you submit a new issue for that at Issues · asmecher/plagiarism · GitHub?

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Thanks, submitted there. In the meantime a workaround I thought of would be to not upload a file in the submission stage and only add it as a galley – presumably that would not be submitted to iThenticate?

Hi @SACJ_Editor,

I don’t think that’ll help – the plugin expects to be able to send author submissions to iThenticate, not just editor-submitted files (e.g. galleys).

Regards,
Alec Smecher