User pages load slowly

Hello,

OJS 3.1.2.0
PHP 7.3.25
MySQL Ver 8.0.22
Centos 7
2 cpus
8G RAM

We’re on OJS 3.1.2.0 and run a multi-journal instance. We have been experiencing slow response times for user pages. The public facing pages are not a problem.

For example, when I click on a specific submission, it will take a long time to load. I need some advice on how to track down what the problem could be. I have used Firefox developer tools to measure the performance and can see that certain actions take a long time, but I’m not sure how to identify the exact problem.

My colleague in Library IT also did some testing. They used htop to monitor what was happening when OJS was used. Every time the user does anything in OJS both of the cpus spikes to 100% for a few seconds and mysql is the top user in htop.

We turned on the slow query log in my.cnf and created the mysql-slow.log file with mysql as owner. We didn’t receive anything in the log. We also checked the mysql log to make sure we weren’t getting the slow queries logged in there but they weren’t in there either.

slow_query_log = 1

slow-query_log_file = /var/log/mysql-slow.log

long_query_time = 2

Before we upgraded from OJS 2 we were using 4 cpus and still had a slowness problem. Our IT does not want to upgrade to 4 cpus unless we have a better idea that it will help when it hasn’t in the past.

Do you know of any other monitoring tools that we could use to get more information on what the problem could be? I expected the slow query log to give us information and was surprised that nothing showed up.

Thank you!
Janet Swatscheno

Hello everyone,

I’m just wondering if anyone else has experienced this same amount of slowness and if so what tools you would recommend for investigating or fixing the issue.

Thanks,
Janet

php-fpm, fastcgi, mod_php?

tail -f /var/log/httpd/access_log

load?

yum install htop
htop