Upgrade from 2.4.8.5 to 3.x - Intermediate upgrade?

Hi @radjr,

I used the config.inc.php from the 2.4.8.5 install and made no other changes.

The upgrade documentation suggests the step:

Synchronize new changes from config.TEMPLATE.inc.php to config.inc.php

When doing a large upgrade, I prefer to start with the new version’s configuration file and merge in the settings from my old configuration file.

Interesting, things like the quick submit plugin and all the graphical elements from 2.4.8.5 are gone.

Can you include a screenshot?

When looking at the Plug-in gallery, it just sits and spins and never returns anything.

This will probably mean a PHP error in your error log.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi Alec, I used the config.inc.php from the 2.4.8.5 install and made no other changes.

The upgrade documentation suggests the step:
Yes, I walked through the options and could not see any additional changes… will try again.

When doing a large upgrade, I prefer to start with the new version’s configuration file and merge in the settings from my old configuration file.

Interesting, things like the quick submit plugin and all the graphical elements from 2.4.8.5 are gone.

See item 1 above.
Can you include a screenshot?

When looking at the Plug-in gallery, it just sits and spins and never returns anything.

See below. Thank you.

There were a few difference between the config.inc.php and the config.inc.TEMPLATE files. They included:
Site wide privacy
Database Collation
Database Charset
Charset normalization (not in 3.2)
Public_user_dir_size
Filename_revision_match
api_key_secret

I updated the config.inc.php to include those settings and it did not make any difference.

I actually used the method in your youtube video to do the upgrade. In that, you said we could use the 2.4.x template to do the upgrade.

Hi @radjr,

Did you mean to include a screenshot of this? I don’t see it. (Maybe I’m misunderstanding what you mean by “graphical elements”.)

Please check your PHP error log to see if there are any relevant details.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Alec, Thanks for your time!

Reverse order. There was an error in the apache log and PUTS were disabled. They have been enabled and now we can save configuration changes. Followup…will the upgrade process really complete successfully if PUTs were disabled on apache during the upgrade? AND, puts were not enabled in our 2.4.8.x sites…so is this new and only used in 3.x?

Screen shots below.
Here is the screenshot of our journal in 2.4.8.5 and below that is the version from 3.2. Nothing migrated including any static pages, menus, etc (and the quick submit plugin)

Hi @radjr,

PUT requests were not used in OJS 2.x but are now used in 3.x (and will be used more in the future as we adopt modern REST API practices).

You’ll need to install any plugins afresh, including the QuickSubmit plugin, which is available in the Plugin Gallery.

I would have expected that the navigation menus and static pages would be migrated with the upgrade, but if they have not, the best approach is probably to manually migrate that content. If this is just a test upgrade, I’d suggest just doing a proof-of-concept to make sure they work as you expect and migrate them fully when you do the final upgrade.

Any layout changes etc. will need to be redone for OJS 3.x, which has a rewritten front-end toolset. This was necessary to support modern CSS, responsiveness, accessibility, etc.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Thanks Alec. Extremely helpful. Final question for now. Will the upgrade.php run properly without PUT support on the server?

Yes, this is a test server and we are trying to determine what we need to migrate or recreate before the update to our production server. As always you are great help! cheers radjr

Hi @radjr,

Yes, the upgrade script will run fine without PUT requests being enabled on the web server.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Grazie! Grazie! Grazie!