Unable to upgrade from 2.4.4.1 to 3.1.1.4

Hello everyone,

as per the object of the thread, I am trying to upgrade an extremely old version of OJS. Unfortunately this project has been passed down to me and I don’t have much info on how it was handled before. Even more unfortunate is the fact that the hosting Platform doesn’t allow shell access, so I have to find a way to solve this without command line.

So, I did everything on the upgrade document and i launched the web based upgrade. It returned a blank page and nothing happened. After I went back I saw that it indeed did something to the MySQL database, but the process must have stopped for some reason, so I reset the database to how it was before and toggled ini_set(‘display_errors’, E_ALL); in the index.php file and I got quite a verbose output which I am copying here in the hope that someone can help me

Thank you very much!

Version:1.0 StartHTML:000000247 EndHTML:000043975 StartFragment:000000375 EndFragment:000043943 StartSelection:000000375 EndSelection:000043943 SourceURL:http://www.skenejournal.it/skene-journal/ojs3/index.php/index/install/installUpgrade
Strict Standards : Declaration of PKPUsageEventPlugin::getEnabled() should be compatible with LazyLoadPlugin::getEnabled($contextId = NULL) in /web/htdocs/www.skenejournal.it/home/skene-journal/ojs3/lib/pkp/plugins/generic/usageEvent/PKPUsageEventPlugin.inc.php on line 386

Strict Standards : Declaration of InstallHandler::validate() should be compatible with PKPHandler::validate($requiredContexts = NULL, $request = NULL) in /web/htdocs/www.skenejournal.it/home/skene-journal/ojs3/lib/pkp/pages/install/InstallHandler.inc.php on line 118

Strict Standards : Only variables should be assigned by reference in /web/htdocs/www.skenejournal.it/home/skene-journal/ojs3/lib/pkp/classes/db/DBDataXMLParser.inc.php on line 122

Strict Standards : Only variables should be passed by reference in /web/htdocs/www.skenejournal.it/home/skene-journal/ojs3/lib/pkp/lib/adodb/adodb-xmlschema.inc.php on line 267

Strict Standards : Declaration of SubmissionLanguageEntryDAO::getByControlledVocabId() should be compatible with ControlledVocabEntryDAO::getByControlledVocabId($controlledVocabId, $rangeInfo = NULL, $filter = NULL) in /web/htdocs/www.skenejournal.it/home/skene-journal/ojs3/lib/pkp/classes/submission/SubmissionLanguageEntryDAO.inc.php on line 20

Strict Standards : Declaration of SubmissionAgencyEntryDAO::getByControlledVocabId() should be compatible with ControlledVocabEntryDAO::getByControlledVocabId($controlledVocabId, $rangeInfo = NULL, $filter = NULL) in /web/htdocs/www.skenejournal.it/home/skene-journal/ojs3/lib/pkp/classes/submission/SubmissionAgencyEntryDAO.inc.php on line 44

Strict Standards : Declaration of SubmissionKeywordEntryDAO::getByControlledVocabId() should be compatible with ControlledVocabEntryDAO::getByControlledVocabId($controlledVocabId, $rangeInfo = NULL, $filter = NULL) in /web/htdocs/www.skenejournal.it/home/skene-journal/ojs3/lib/pkp/classes/submission/SubmissionKeywordEntryDAO.inc.php on line 45

Strict Standards : Declaration of SubmissionFileDAO::fromRow() should be compatible with PKPSubmissionFileDAO::fromRow($row, $fileImplementation) in /web/htdocs/www.skenejournal.it/home/skene-journal/ojs3/classes/article/SubmissionFileDAO.inc.php on line 23

Warning : mkdir(): Permission denied in /web/htdocs/www.skenejournal.it/home/skene-journal/ojs3/lib/pkp/classes/file/FileManager.inc.php on line 289

Warning : copy(/web/htdocs/www.skenejournal.it/skene-journal/ojs3/files//journals/1//articles/11/attachment/11-1-31-1-13-20141010.jpg): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /web/htdocs/www.skenejournal.it/home/skene-journal/ojs3/lib/pkp/classes/file/FileManager.inc.php on line 159

Warning : assert(): Assertion failed in /web/htdocs/www.skenejournal.it/home/skene-journal/ojs3/lib/pkp/classes/submission/SubmissionFileDAODelegate.inc.php on line 123

Warning : mkdir(): Permission denied in /web/htdocs/www.skenejournal.it/home/skene-journal/ojs3/lib/pkp/classes/file/FileManager.inc.php on line 289

Warning : copy(/web/htdocs/www.skenejournal.it/skene-journal/ojs3/files//journals/1//articles/19/attachment/19-1-50-1-13-20141212.jpg): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /web/htdocs/www.skenejournal.it/home/skene-journal/ojs3/lib/pkp/classes/file/FileManager.inc.php on line 159

Warning : assert(): Assertion failed in /web/htdocs/www.skenejournal.it/home/skene-journal/ojs3/lib/pkp/classes/submission/SubmissionFileDAODelegate.inc.php on line 123

Warning : copy(/web/htdocs/www.skenejournal.it/skene-journal/ojs3/files//journals/1//articles/167/attachment/167-1-540-1-13-20180601.docx): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /web/htdocs/www.skenejournal.it/home/skene-journal/ojs3/lib/pkp/classes/file/FileManager.inc.php on line 159

Warning : copy(/web/htdocs/www.skenejournal.it/skene-journal/ojs3/files//journals/1//articles/49/attachment/49-1-148-1-13-20160318.jpg): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /web/htdocs/www.skenejournal.it/home/skene-journal/ojs3/lib/pkp/classes/file/FileManager.inc.php on line 159

Warning : copy(/web/htdocs/www.skenejournal.it/skene-journal/ojs3/files//journals/1//articles/169/attachment/169-1-599-1-13-20181118.docx): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /web/htdocs/www.skenejournal.it/home/skene-journal/ojs3/lib/pkp/classes/file/FileManager.inc.php on line 159

Warning : copy(/web/htdocs/www.skenejournal.it/skene-journal/ojs3/files//journals/1//articles/155/attachment/155-1-498-1-13-20180329.docx): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /web/htdocs/www.skenejournal.it/home/skene-journal/ojs3/lib/pkp/classes/file/FileManager.inc.php on line 159

Warning : copy(/web/htdocs/www.skenejournal.it/skene-journal/ojs3/files//journals/1//articles/11/submission/proof/11-2-31-1-10-20141010.jpg): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /web/htdocs/www.skenejournal.it/home/skene-journal/ojs3/lib/pkp/classes/file/FileManager.inc.php on line 159

Warning : assert(): Assertion failed in /web/htdocs/www.skenejournal.it/home/skene-journal/ojs3/lib/pkp/classes/submission/SubmissionFileDAODelegate.inc.php on line 112

Warning : copy(/web/htdocs/www.skenejournal.it/skene-journal/ojs3/files//journals/1//articles/11/submission/review/11-2–1-4-20141010.jpg): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /web/htdocs/www.skenejournal.it/home/skene-journal/ojs3/lib/pkp/classes/file/FileManager.inc.php on line 159

Fatal error : Call to a member function getFileId() on null in /web/htdocs/www.skenejournal.it/home/skene-journal/ojs3/lib/pkp/classes/submission/PKPSubmissionFileDAO.inc.php on line 1065

Which PHP version are you running? OJS 3.1.1-4 requires PHP 5.6 or higher!

The environment was alright. For some reason I had to upgrade to 2.4.8.3, then to 3.0.0 and finally to 3.1.1.4

Now it’s working ok thanks!

That I would have proposed next! :smiley: Good to hear that your problem is solved! :slight_smile: