Unable to see pictures when signed out

I am unable to see pictures when signed out of my journal. It makes the appearance to guest before they register very bad. I have the options to allow all access, can someone help me find why this is happening?

Hi @aglickman,

Which pictures are these, and how did you upload them? What version of OJS are you using?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi,

Thank you for replying :slight_smile: I am using version 2.4.8. I first uploaded them to a images directory and redirected the HTML code to that image. It displayed fine when logged in. I then tried to host them on github and it is the same case. I can provide you the link of my journal if needed. They are .jpg.

Hi @aglickman,

Hmm, I’m not sure that’s anything to do with OJS – can you send me a link?

Regards,
Alec Smecher

http://journals.fcla.edu/jur/index

Hi @aglickman,

It looks like you’re using URLs into the journal manager’s “file manager” interface. That interface is only available to Journal Managers, so non-managers won’t be able to access files uploaded there.

You have a few options, off the top of my head…

• Upload the images via CPanel file manager or equivalent;
  • Create a symbolic link from your public area into your files_dir (not recommended, as it’s not future-proof, but some users have done it and it permits the Journal Manager’s file manager tool to be used as you’re doing)
  • Where OJS has existing tools to manage the types of files you’re wanting to upload (e.g. article and issue cover images), use those tools rather than the journal manager’s file manager

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Thank you, I will try to implement one of the options you provided. I will get back to you. Thank you so much, I appreciate it.

I redirected the link to where the image is being hosted and it was fixed. I thought I did it already but I guess I did not, thank you for pointing that out for me. Do you have any other tips?

Hi @aglickman,

Just to mention that the nearly-completed OJS 3.1.1 has a tool where the journal manager can upload files and make them publicly available – for when you’re ready to consider OJS 3.x!

Regards,
Alec Smecher