Unable to install - getting 500 error

I am trying to install ojs-3.1.0-1 version in my godaddy hosted shared server. But in the first installation page: http://www.DOMAIN.com/index.php/index/install/, I am seeing these errors:

Deprecated: Non-static method Application::getName() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in /home/USERNAME/public_html/lib/pkp/classes/install/form/InstallForm.inc.php on line 146

Deprecated: Non-static method Application::getName() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in /home/USERNAME/public_html/lib/pkp/classes/install/form/InstallForm.inc.php on line 148

Deprecated: Non-static method Application::getName() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in /home/USERNAME/public_html/lib/pkp/classes/install/form/InstallForm.inc.php on line 150

Deprecated: Non-static method VersionCheck::getCurrentCodeVersion() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in /home/USERNAME/public_html/lib/pkp/classes/install/form/MaintenanceForm.inc.php on line 37

Deprecated: Non-static method PKPRequest::getUserVar() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in /home/USERNAME/public_html/lib/pkp/classes/form/Form.inc.php on line 369

Deprecated: Non-static method PKPRequest::_checkThis() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in /home/USERNAME/public_html/lib/pkp/classes/core/PKPRequest.inc.php on line 592

And after filling all details when i click "Instal Open Jurnal System’s Button, the i get this error:

www.DOMAIN.com is currently unable to handle this request.
HTTP ERROR 500

Can anyone help me installing it in my server please?

Regards

I think that you should firstly inform your hosting company on error 500 message. That message should rather require from hosting company to tweak the server a bit.
Other messages that you see are not much important.

Hi @anjansid,

Check higher up in the log file for something corresponding to the 500 error. It should have the word “error” in the message (as opposed to e.g. “warning”).

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hello all, thanks for the replies.

I talked to the hosting team - Godaddy. They say that my hosting is shared hosting and OJS can’t be installed in shared plan as it doesn’t have “softaculous” in it. To install OJS I need server purchased.

Do you have any idea?

Hi @anjansid,

OJS can be installed without Softalicious.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Yes, that’s what I was thinking. Because, I could install it some other hosting in shared plan without softaculous. I could install there through file manager.

Okay, please let me check the error log and I will update you. Do you have any idea what server value/setting I should check with Godaddy?

Hi @asmecher,

I was able to install the script in my same server. Very sorry that godaddy mislead me to this.

When I checked the error_log file I found that it has some error regarding mysql_connect(), so I uploaded a <?php phpinfo(); ?> file. It showed me that my server has mysqli instead of mysql and I was selecting mysql in the installation screen. I changed it to mysqli in the dropdown and that’s it. It got installed without any error.

But do you think there should be a proper error message in OJS itself when users make such mistakes? Or a better solution might be to show only the available options in the server in the installation screen dropdowns?

But I really appreciate your help. Thanks a lot.

Hi @anjansid,

There will be an error message in this case complaining about the missing function mysql_connect – but I suspect it was hard to find in the log because of the deprecation/strict mode warnings. These warnings can be disabled in your PHP configuration and we’ll be working gradually to resolve them over the next few OJS releases.

Regards,
Alec Smecher