Unable to access non-live journals

We are unable to access journals that are not “live” (ie: journals that are open to the general public).

When we try to access a journal that is not public, we get the following error messages:

404 Not Found

Stack Trace:

File: /var/www/submission_scielo_br/ojs/lib/pkp/classes/core/PKPPageRouter.inc.php line 203
Function: Dispatcher->handle404()

File: /var/www/submission_scielo_br/ojs/lib/pkp/classes/core/Dispatcher.inc.php line 134
Function: PKPPageRouter->route(Object(Request))

File: /var/www/submission_scielo_br/ojs/lib/pkp/classes/core/PKPApplication.inc.php line 227
Function: Dispatcher->dispatch(Object(Request))

File: /var/www/submission_scielo_br/ojs/index.php line 68
Function: PKPApplication->execute()

I think since 3.0.1. this has been a feature. You have to be logged in to OJS in order to see a hidden journal.

The plus side here is that the hidden journals do not get indexed and I guess that is the logic behind this change.

But this was helpful for journals that were still under training and testing.

They can’t even request a new password in case they forgot it, in order to do some testing.

What’s the work-around for this or recommendations as how training should occur?

I agree that it makes the training of new journals harder.

The way I have solved this is that for the new journals I advise them to first log in from the site level and after logging in they can reach the journal. A new password can be requested from the site level too.

I see, thanks for sharing your experience, @ajnyga!