Translator Plugin OJS 3.1.2 for en_US

Hi,

the Translator Plugin (OJS 3.1.2) seems to be able to “translate” locales for en_US. However, if you do change the translation, the new string is not saved. Instead, the string in the xml-File ist replaced by
"<![CDATA[Array]]>"
and “array” is shown in the GUI.

For other locales the plugin seems to work as expected. so:

1. Wouldn’t it be good to be able to translate en_US? It would make a Custom Locale Plugin unnecessary.

2. If it is intentional to not allow translations for en_US, this locale should not appear in the listing of the translator plugin.

best,
Carola

Hi @carola,

I’ve filed this for attention over at Translator plugin cannot edit English-language text · Issue #5074 · pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub. It sounds like a bug to me.

The translator plugin and the custom locale plugin serve different purposes, however. The custom locale plugin permits per-journal overrides of locale contents, whereas the translator plugin will affect all journals in that installation equally.

Note that we’re working on replacing our translation toolset with a standard-based toolset – see Replace bespoke translation toolset with more standards-based options · Issue #4779 · pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub for details.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi @asmecher,

ah, thanks, I see, for multi-journal installations it really matters.

I installed the Custom Locale Plugin from your repo, but I had to add minor changes to make it work:

• description text (it is still for OMP only).

I can make pull requests if you want. But I couldn’t test it on OMP 3.1.2 since I don’t have it yet.

best,
Carola

Hi @carola,

Pull requests would be welcome! I can help with some OMP testing as well.

Thanks,
Alec Smecher

Hi @asmecher,

I had a closer look at this plugin version (stable-3.1.2) and there are other things that don’t work, including at least one critical error (replacements with empty strings). But I can’t invest the time to work it over in all necessary detail to call it a stable branch.

I would copy it to one of our repositories and create only dev-branches to indicate that it’s work in progress and use is on user’s own risk. Would this be okay for you?

As soon as the new translation tool is available, I would use this instead.

best,
Carola

Hi @carola,

Sure, that sounds fine. FYI, we’ve already converted the master branch of OJS and OMP over to .po format (for selected locales, including German, and the rest will follow).

Thanks,
Alec Smecher