# symbols appears in our main page, visible for readers

Hi @cxl,

This is a very unusual situation – are you sure there are no local modifications that might explain it?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

there are no local modifications. this happened after we updated to 3.1.0.1.

look in your config.inc.php file:

; Default locale
locale = en_US

that is exactly what’s in our config.inc.php.

if there was a local modification, what possible modification would that be?

Hi @cxl,

Impossible to know from my end – I’d suggest using the standard diff tool to compare your installation against a fresh unpacking from the .tar.gz file.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

which .tar.gz files should i compare?

Hi @cxl,

Against the files in the .tar.gz file for the version of OJS you’re using, freshly downloaded from the PKP website.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

the version of the .tar.gz of the OJS i’m using is found in this folder [ /after_upgrade/ojs-3.1.0-1.tar.gz ], right?

Hi @cxl,

It’s not placed anywhere by OJS itself – downloading the .tar.gz and putting it somewhere is up to the admin to do manually.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Im sorry for being slow. So i downloaded a new .tar.gz file from the PKP website. To which .tar.gz file should i compare it against? Thank you, Alec.

Hi @cxl,

You’d need to extract it somewhere out of the way, then use the standard diff tool to compare its contents against those of your problem OJS installation. This will identify any files that have been changed.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

where do i get the diff tool? is it the same diff tool like K Diff or is it built in inside cpanel?

Hi @cxl,

diff is a standard *NIX tool, and should already be present on a Linux or MacOS system; for Windows I think you can download it from GNU.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi alec. We want try uninstalling and reinstalling the OJS. Do you think it will work? Also, after reinstalling, how do we import the backup so we can use the old files and databases again? I’m using Windows by the way. Thank you for all your help.

Can you explain me the whole process in detail? It is good for the better explanation.