Submission dashboard search

Can the submission dashboard not be case sensitive? We’ve had some issues with editors not understanding why it won’t work. Also, is it possible for it to search the abstract, in addition to the author/ title/ submission ID?

Finally, while the filters are super helpful, is there a way to sort by submission date or upcoming review deadline?

Hi @scrissin,

What version of OJS are you using? (Please include this in your posts.)

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

sorry about that–forgot it in this one. We are currently running OJS 3.1.0.1

Hi @scrissin,

Can the submission dashboard not be case sensitive?

The search in the submissions list is not, in my tests, case-sensitive, and as far as I’m aware it never has been. @asmecher is it possible that the LIKE %...% syntax is case-sensitive based on a sql type/version/configuration?

Also, is it possible for it to search the abstract, in addition to the author/ title/ submission ID?

This would be possible, but I am on the fence as to whether it is a good idea. The search is fairly “dumb”, in that it does not do any ranking by relevance. Restricting the matches to id, title and author ensures the results are always highly relevant. We make the assumption that, when searching in this context, searchers already know the submission they want, and recalling a word or two should bring it up immediately. Including the abstract in matches will increase the rate of false positives. This effect will be inflated on larger journals, but probably be pretty minimal in smaller journals. Without widespread testing (which PKP doesn’t have the resources for) or centralised behavioural tracking (which PKP rightfully avoids), it’s hard to make an informed choice here.

This is an area where our plugin architecture can be useful, but it requires some technical resources. It looks like it is possible for a plugin to modify the search query to include the abstract (though this hasn’t been done in practice yet). As a proof of concept, I’d be willing to try to work up an example plugin which did this. But you’d still need technical support from your service provider to install and enable the plugin. Is that something you have?

Finally, while the filters are super helpful, is there a way to sort by submission date or upcoming review deadline?

Submissions are always sorted by submission date, with the most recently submitted at the top. Adding better filters for tracking missed deadlines is planned. We haven’t yet had a request for filtering by pending deadlines, but perhaps your need would be adequately addressed with some of the other suggested filters: Add filtering options to new submissions list · Issue #2612 · pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub

I help manage the instance @scrissin has asked about (https://scholarworks.iu.edu/journals v.3.1.0.1). We are definitely experiencing case sensitive search in our journals’ dashboards. In this screen shot, the submission is found with “Hoops,” but not with “hoops.” case-sensitive

Is there a specific PostgreSQL setting that would disable the case-sensitive restriction?

Many thanks,
Richard

Looks like it is specific to postgresql: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/functions-matching.html

The differences between our various supported databases is not my strength. @asmecher do you know a way to do our search matching (LIKE) that is case-insensitive across all supported SQLs?

(@rshiggin until we find a general solution, you can modify the query itself at https://github.com/pkp/pkp-lib/blob/master/classes/services/queryBuilders/PKPSubmissionListQueryBuilder.inc.php#L305-L328)

I’ve filed an issue here: Submission searching is case-sensitive in postgresql · Issue #3807 · pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub

Thanks so much, @NateWr. Changing those queries to the PostgreSQL standard will work for now. We very much appreciate the assistance.

1 Like