[solved] OJS 3.1.1-2 SMTP failed after upgrade

Hi all,

We just recently upgraded from 3.1.1 to 3.1.1-2 and found that the mail/notification delivery system isn’t working anymore. We’re using smtp gmail over port 587.

nc -zv smtp.gmail.com 587
Connection to smtp.gmail.com 587 port [tcp/submission] succeeded!

This is the error message:

SMTP connect() failed. Troubleshooting · PHPMailer/PHPMailer Wiki · GitHub

We have also tried the troubleshooting procedures enlisted in the above link to no avail. Did anyone upgraded experiencing this also? Any advise will be very appreciated. Thanks.

Hi @sisca_ojs,

OJS 3.1.1-2 doesn’t introduce any changes around email delivery; are you sure there wasn’t some other change introduced at the same time? Is your config.inc.php mail delivery configuration the same in both versions?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

I got the same issue after install OJS 3.1.1-2. i installed version 3.1.1 and it was running well.
but the same configuration can’t work on the new version.
I am using gmail smtp over port 465

Hi @asmecher,

We keep the config.inc.php intact during the upgrade. We then tried to change the port to 465, but still failed. Looks like @Fredrik_Ndjurumana confirm it. We also had contacted our hosting, but they report no changes on their side. This is strange. What do you think?

Hi all,

What is your config.inc.php configuration for Gmail SMTP? (Obviously please don’t post your username or password – obscure those.)

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi @asmecher,

Thanks for your time. This is the screen shot.

gmail_smtp_ojs

Could it be that google block us? We always have 2 steps verification=off and allow less secure app=on.

in my case, envelope_sender was turned off because its not working. the other setting is the same with @sisca_ojs, except i am using ssl

Hi all,

An update.
This problem is solved after our hosting company restarted our firewall.

Hi all,

Thanks for following up!

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi all.
it is great to solve the problem.
But my problem isn’t solved yet, and i have to downgrade to OJS 2.4.8-3

Same thing with us, after upgradin from OJS 3.1.0 to 3.1.1.2 recently we started to get:
SMTP connect() failed

We did not touch config.inc.php settings, so what was working before stopped working after the upgrade. I switched to using mail() but there is definitely something that has happened here.

Hi @ajnyga,

Hrm, that’ll be coming via PHPMailer; I’d suggest taking a look in the send function in lib/pkp/classes/mail/Mail.inc.php, where OJS’s mail stuff is mapped into PHPMailer. This really hasn’t changed much in recent releases so I wonder if your mail server has perhaps tightened its requirements somehow.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

yes sorry, I forgot to follow up here. I used the phpmailer debugging options and yes, the change has happened in our own server. So not OJS related.

1 Like

We just recently upgraded from 3.1.1 to 3.1.2 and found that the mail/notification delivery system isn’t working anymore. we didnt touch the config file. the point is that when we restore the old version everything works well but with new version we get STMP() error. Any solution for that?

Hi @miki_farman,

I see you’ve also posted this question on another thread. I’ll respond there – but next time please try to choose a single place; that’ll help keep the forum organized.

Thanks,
Alec Smecher